• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Winter Builds

MR. evil

I know is full swing ski season, but does anyone have any plans for a winter bike build?

I am planning on building up a new steel HT this winter, just need to decide single speed or 1x9 and get some stuff ordered......anyone else?

MR. evil

Nice choice! Was thinking about one of those frames for a while, but it's just to similar to my OnOne Summer Season (designed by the same guy) and I wanted something more playful with shorter chain stays.

Are you buying all new parts or transferring parts from the MKIII?

Ended up ordering one of these
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=619273

powpig2002

rebuilding my old hardrock. sheeet, i can't decide on a color, let alone anything else. keep it s/s or go 1x9. keep it ridgid or susp. keep the v-brakes or avid shorty canti's. i'll just have another beer.
p.s. sam adams imperial series imperial stout. damn tasty for 9.2%

MR. evil

rebuilding my old hardrock. sheeet, i can't decide on a color, let alone anything else. keep it s/s or go 1x9. keep it ridgid or susp. keep the v-brakes or avid shorty canti's. i'll just have another beer.
p.s. sam adams imperial series imperial stout. damn tasty for 9.2%

I am working on downing some Kona Fire Rock right now....tasty!!!!!!
Give SS a try, if you dont like it then go 1x9.

powpig2002

i'm riding it s/s now. at 57 thinking about going back to gears. i don't know but i do believe another beer is in order.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I'd like to get a steel, rigid, single speed 29er for commuting and backup bike/visitor bike purposes.

I haven't decided if I want to buy new, buy used, or buy a frame and build. I'll probably be looking for deals all winter/spring.

MR. evil

I'd like to get a steel, rigid, single speed 29er for commuting and backup bike/visitor bike purposes.

I haven't decided if I want to buy new, buy used, or buy a frame and build. I'll probably be looking for deals all winter/spring.

Not exactly what your looking for, but I am selling an OnOne Summer Season. It's a very slack, 26 wheeled steel HT designed to run a 4" to 6" fork.

MR. evil

The new frame arrived today....it's sweeeeet! I will post up some pics tomorrow. Just need the fork to arrive and I can get to building this thing.

MR. evil

Cotic BFe

progress shot of the new ride. New fork and rubber on the way, still need a few drive train bits.

DSCN2188.JPG

MR. evil

waiting for more shots Evil. let's keep the biking thing going

The new ride is just about done. It still needs some sort of chain retention device up front and some new pedals, but other than that it’s all tuned and ready to roll. Right now it’s set up 1x9 with a 34T ring up front and a 9-34 cassette in the rear. Probably going to get a 30T or maybe even a 28T ring upfront and a smaller bash guard to match for added ground clearance. But I am going to get a few rides in before I make that decision.
The Manitou Nixon (all black fork) in the previous pictures is pretty much toast, it has a bent steerer tube…..I guess I am just too hard core……Actually I was very surprised to discover this, no idea how it happened. The new fork is a RockShox Sektor 150mm coil U-turn. I really like the Uturn feature and I am pretty sure all my forks in the future will be Uturn. I had to throw a heavier spring in the fork, and got to see how the coil Uturn works. It’s so simple its genius!

DSCN2199_copy.jpg

DSCN2198_copy.jpg

DSCN2196_copy.jpg

MR. evil

Does it do wheelies?

Nice looking bike!

When I learn how I will let you know :)

If it rides as good as it looks it's going to be killer and might become my go to ride this season. If that happens I may sell the Turner and build up a bigger bike that can also handle the occasional lift servered riding but still be nimble enough for Millers Pond......and Jeff, you will ride Millers with us this year!

MR. evil

Took this out for it's maiden ride at Case Mt in Manchester CT yesterday. Good group that included AZ's own RightCoaster and Trev among others. This was more of a play / session ride to break in our lungs and legs for the season. Considering the type of ride I was in store for (drops, log rides, techy up and rollers) I thought I should bring the FS. But having spent all winter building this bike up, there was no way it was staying home. I thought the HT was really going to hold me back on the stuntry, but it didn't in anyway. I had it in my head that the drops I usually hit on my FS would really hurt on the HT, but they didn't. Just needed to modify my landing technique and absorb more with my legs. The other nice features of the HT are that log rides are much easier due to the more precise bike handling. The techy ups were also easier. The bike also pedals great and is one hell of an all around trail bike

I am so impressed with this bike that I don't see the FS coming out anytime soon. Even thinking about selling my 5" FS trail bike and getting something a little bigger that can handle occasional lift served action. Time will tell.

MR. evil

how'd the 1x9 work out
The climb from the parking area to the entrance of the stunt trail sucked ass. But that's to be expected first ride of the season. Right now the front ring is 34t, I have a 32t on order.