• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you smoke?

Do you Smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Sparingly, or just tried it

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Cigars only

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Ex-smoker

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Professional quitter

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

WakeboardMom

I hope he decides to.. and succeeds. I've never smoked, not once. Don't ever plan to either - not after watching my grandmother waste away as a vegetable for 4 years in a nursing home after a major stroke took everything but her last breath. The docs said the endless chain of cigarettes was a big contributor. But what struck me more than that is she still craved a puff and begged my grandfather to light them up for her and hold those filthy things to her lips. Here she was totally paralyzed and half brain dead, couldn't remember who or where she was, and yet she still craved the nicotine. Nope, I'll never start. Ever.

My wife quit two weeks before our first date in February of 1998 and hasn't touched one since. I'm so proud of her. She's been through a lot (medically) in the last 12 years and if anyone deserves to light one up to forget her worries for a bit, it's her. But she's stayed smoke free through it all.

Thank you. Me, too.

My parents smoked; my mom quit cold turkey my senior year of high school (I'm the oldest of 5), but my dad's story was similar to your grandmother's. Major heart attack at the age 55; a couple of years later quadruple bypass; bouts of pneumonia...he never quit, but he didn't think anyone knew. It was throat cancer that eventually killed him. That was attributed to alcohol, not the cigarettes.

Looking back, I can't believe I married a smoker. I hate it. Thank God he quit. My kids don't really remember that, although we have some videos that show him with a cigarette when they were really little.

Yay for your wife! I hope the same for my son. : )

NYDrew

You could call me a professional quitter. Been smoking since I was 16. I was working at a sleep away camp and I guess you could say I just wanted to be cool. Hooked on my first drag.

Quit once in 2003 for a few months. Short quits again for a while after that. Quit for a year in 2006 and then again for about six months last year again for two months this summer. The move to Vermont did me in stresswise on the last quit, bi-weekly round trips were just to much.

Quit season is just around the corner. Already mentally preparing.

lerops

Smoked for 5 years, then stopped enjoying it, quit and only smoked when drinking. Then after another 5 years stopped enjoying with drinks, too, and quit alltogether. I still smoke when I am in the mood, maybe once a year or so and the occasional cigar.

tjf67

I got off the triple yesterday and a guy in a one piece all bundled up came skiing up to me. He started giving me a hard time cause he could smell my cig a chair behind. I was a little taken back but used to it. I won him over in about two minutes. Told him sky had 15 inches of snow on it and it was the place to go. Was on sky the run before. Ther was 20 inches but it was a mixture of natural and manmade. Really tough. Hope he had fun with that. He probably got 200 yards down the trail before he figured it out.

Edd

Started in high school unfortunately and went off/on for 8ish years. Haven't touched one in 15 years. Quitting was the smartest thing I ever did but that's not saying much.

Scruffy

Why is anyone still smoking today ? :confused: Why not just blow your brains out and get it over with ? You're skiers, for gwad sakes people, your body is your tool, keep it waxed :lol:

ctenidae

Why is anyone still smoking today ? :confused: Why not just blow your brains out and get it over with ? You're skiers, for gwad sakes people, your body is your tool, keep it waxed :lol:

I wax my tool whenever I have the chance.

Wait...what?

jrmagic

I answered cigars only as I smoke a couple a month but I am an ex- cigarette smoker as well. I used to smoke about a pack a day but then quit when my son was born. I stayed off it for 7 years and then somehow started again for a couple of years. It will be 4 years for me without a smoke later this month.

Last edited:

darent

started in vietnam, you know the army,free cigs. was off and on for years then twenty years ago just didn't like the smell and quit. don't miss it at all

skiNEwhere

What made it harder for me to quit was when I moved from Massachusetts to Colorado. It was almost 8 dollars a pack in MA, and then it was under 4 dollars a pack for the same cigs in CO

Kerovick

Ex-cigarrette smoker, smoked for 15 years up to teo packs a day. Quit cold turkey 9 years ago. I have an occasion cigar or take a pipe (tobacco).

ctenidae

3 years quit. I still think about it occasionally, particularly when walking the dog or something that could use a time killer. But then I think about the taste and smell, and the desire goes away.

ScottySkis

What made it harder for me to quit was when I moved from Massachusetts to Colorado. It was almost 8 dollars a pack in MA, and then it was under 4 dollars a pack for the same cigs in CO

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
You should have friends mail those cigarettes, think about how much money you could make.