• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you smoke?

Do you Smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Sparingly, or just tried it

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Cigars only

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Ex-smoker

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Professional quitter

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

skiNEwhere

Tobacco that is, for those of you who would be thinking amoung other lines.....

Unfortunately I do, have been for about 8 months now, mostly because of boredom

gmcunni

started smoking very young.. 12? i remember the first time i took a drag off a cigarette, some guy drove by threw his cigarette out the window, i picked it up and smoked it.

i'm old, cigs were $0.75 a pack when i started. i quit on my 25th birthday, haven't gone back to it since.

Geoff

My last cigarette was in the 1980's. I was "professional quittter" for most of that decade. The thing that always got me started again was roaring drunk at the bar where everyone around me was smoking. It became really difficult to smoke at work. The states made bars non-smoking. That made it easier to transition from "professional quitter" to "ex-smoker".

I've been battling weight problems ever since.

WoodCore

Smoked for over 20 years before becoming an ex-smoker 2 years ago.

dmc

Remember back in the day when your desk came with an ashtray at work? And it was common place to light up in a conference room...

gorgonzola

ex smoker for around 12 years, before that was i was a pro quitter/only smoked at work for about 10 yrs, pack+/day smoker for ten before that.

I'll have a cigar now and then - maybe <10 a year

Geoff

Remember back in the day when your desk came with an ashtray at work? And it was common place to light up in a conference room...

Yep. I was doing startup companies back then. 60 to 70 hour weeks writing code fueled by free coffee and cigarettes. Beer and pizza every Friday afternoon where the whole company got trashed. I used to get home in time to see the first couple of minutes of the late show with Carson or the late-late show with Letterman before going to bed.

It was kind of like Mad Men but the office space was far less opulent, people dressed "engineer" where khakis and a golf shirt was dressing up and shorts & tee shirt was summer wear, and the secretaries weren't as hot.

gmcunni

and what did you smoke?

Marlboro Lights for me.

yhst-43357575186341_2139_29478089

Geoff

My first cigarette was after getting high around age 16. Pot is a gateway drug to cigarettes.

I smoked heavily in college in the 2nd half of the 1970's. The starting procedure when you got in the car was: close the door, hit the cigarette lighter, start the car, put on your seat belt, lighter popped and light a cigarette, drive. In the 80's, I'd chain smoke in the bar and was a professional quitter much of the rest of the time.

The last time I had tobacco was in the mid-1990's. I'd been cold turkey since 1989. A German friend of mine asked me if I wanted to get high at a trade show somewhere in Germany. We wandered off to a deserted part of the hall. He pulled out a rolling paper, a Marlboro, and put a mix of tobacco and hash in the rolling paper. I was all freaked out... not about the hash but about the tobacco. It was _REALLY_ hard to quit and I didn't want to go through that again.

amf

Working on a tobacco research farm one summer made me vow to never smoke a 'grette for two reasons... 1] my hands would be black from handling leaf at the end of a day, and I'd never want to inhale that stuff, and 2] none of the best product made it into the sticks. That led me to the occasional cigar in a well-ventilated atmosphere, a true pleasure.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
In April, it will be 10 years since I quit. It took me 4 serious attempts to quit (the last one being successful).

3191 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes and 48 seconds smoke free.

79797 cigarettes not smoked.
$20,947.50 and 20 months, 9 days, 13 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 4/10/2002

Anyone using an e-cig? I've heard some good things from current smokers about them.

powpig2002

i'm a nicotine junkie. smoke free but still addicted. ive quit for 5 yrs..twice! i convince myself i can have JUST one. then another....... if i found out i had 6 months to live, i'd become a human smokestack. people who have never smoked don't understand.

crank

I'm an occasional smoker and have been since I was 15 or so. Sometimes I will go through a pack in a week or 2, more often I will buy a pack and throw it out, unfinished, a month or so later because the butts are stale.

I smoke when I'm out in the fresh air - chairlifts are a big smoking lounge for me. I almost always light up after a mountain bike ride - dumb, I know.

The other time I light up is when playing guitar. If I have a gig I will smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes through the course of a night during breaks between sets and after the gig is done. Times when I'm gigging a lot I cut way back to maybe 1 or 2 a night.

Warp Daddy

I quit 36 yrs ago before MMOST of u were Born :D Used to smoke 2 packs a day also smoked a Meershaum pipe for awhile and cigars too. The Queen quit then too she used to smoke a pack a day

But when the research came out in the 70's i said: "i'm done! " Suddenly no smoker's hack, everything tasted better and well u know the drill