• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry Ski Conditions Resources

thetrailboss

Staff member
I figured I would post this thread/sticky to offer sites that discuss the conditions in the backcountry. As always, ski at your own risk and AZ nor myself accept any responsibility or liability for what you do using the information provided here. Be Prepared in the backcountry. Know how to rescue yourself if need be and know the area and the weather.

Information for popular destinations:

Tuckerman Ravine, Huntington Ravine, the Presidentials.

Katahdin/Baxter State Park (look to the right for an update). Note that BSP has tight regulations for those seeking to backcountry ski.

The Higher Summits of the Green Mountains.

Bolton Valley's Nordic Center (which has extensive BC options).

If anyone has other sources, please post them. I could not find one for Greylock or the Adirondacks.

Cannonball

tjf67

Not ready in the ADK's. Its ok for Lite BC but can' get the AT gear out yet. Two weeks

Andrew Caffrey

great idea for a thread and great start, tho many of these stations will only be able to give us a proximate of conditions.
for us flatlanders (boston) more eyes on the ground, such as what tjf did for the dacks, is priceless.
I think either TT or T4T sets up a condtions thread for various pockets, that steers away from spot burning and just talks of coverage, conditions and snow quality in general locales. should we do that in here or start a similar thread?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Great thread idea. Of course there are several other local forum sites specifically dedicated to this. And they are probably the best resource for first hand accounts of specific conditions. But I assume it's improper to 'advertise' other forums here.

I don't seem to have any problem doing exactly that when it's productive and not bashing.

BuddyDog

How about something like posting up groups or gatherings, kind of like whats done in the mtb scene. All my skiing buddies could care less about climbing to get the goods. When I feel the complete opposite, just love natural terrain and the quiet of the backcountry.

skimore

Not the report I got from someone that was up in Giant Mtn Wilderness

tjf67

Not the report I got from someone that was up in Giant Mtn Wilderness

I would not go to Giant Skiing. They are not in the snow belt and it is barely ever skiable. I would take your buddies report though he probably knows more than me:-o

j law

Anybody know if the Thunderbolt got significant snow from this storm? it looks like the storm was a bit too far south and east for Adams.

We had 19 inches here in NYC... I hate when it snows in the wrong places!!!

DPhelan

Did thunderbolt last weekend. Was cold as hell, and conditions were variable, but very skiable. Should be a whole nother ballgame after this next storm system hits it. Wouldn't want to be the first one breaking trail after that!

skinned up sweetheart mountain in central CT yesterday, and breaking trail was pretty lousy. There was a crust layer about 8" under the surface powder that broke easily, but not easily enough to not constantly get stuck going up as well as down. Better than sitting in lift lines in VT though!

178999_10150124461561318_625546317_7513378_1125975_n.jpg

167521_10150123327356318_625546317_7498037_4510574_n.jpg