• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Too bad

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
Good point. It's funny how times change. It use to be that talking about politics or religion could cause an arguement. Nowadays they are both in the same conversation.

Guys, I don't like the censorship of politics/religion myself. We ought to be able to discuss these issues like adults. But it always seems to lead to anger and flame throwing.

I think part of the volatility of these issues is that once a person makes a pro or con statement about one particular issue, then folks tend to put a political tag on that person which then dumps a whole load of stereotyped and generalized political beliefs that this person may or may not support.

It just leads to too much emotionalism and anger and it's better left alone.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I don't normally get into political discussions. Last time I got into one was with a friend on Thanksgiving day 2004, we didn't speak again until Christmas of 2005. Well guess there's something good to be said about political debate :)

BeanoNYC

Before the ban of politics and religion I never really posted my opinions for fear that I would have to meet up to ski with someone I would have gotten into an argument with. This isn't just a website where we all hide behind our computer screens and sound off. We actually meet up and ski/hike together!!!!! We must be cognizant of the fact that we are a mountain sports COMMUNITY OF FRIENDS that happen to communicate on the internet. We can talk about whatever we want face to face, (I always get a kick out of hearing AZers curse in person for some reason) but while communicating on the internet we must keep distractions such as politics away. That being said, although I was against the banning of politics here when the issue first came up, I feel that AZ has a much better vibe now that the distraction is gone. My .02.....

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
(I always get a kick out of hearing AZers curse in person for some reason)
You have to take a lift ride with Brian and me - double digit F-bombs and numerous S-words are the norm... :lol:

awf170

Greg said:
You have to take a lift ride with Brian and me - double digit F-bombs and numerous S-words are the norm... :lol:

So weird. I can't picture anyone swearing after being on here for over a year. For me I talk exactly how I do in real life here.

BeanoNYC

Greg said:

You were the first AZer I've ever met (Well other than NYDrew, but we figured that out after we met again on here.) I was trying to hold the language in check as to not seem too much like a New Yorker. Then I was like "Wow Greg curses too, he's human after all!"

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
BeanoNYC said:
You were the first AZer I've ever met (Well other than NYDrew, but we figured that out after we met again on here.) I was trying to hold the language in check as to not seem too much like a New Yorker. Then I was like "Wow Greg curses too, he's human after all!"

Holy chit, Greg curses! I thought he was Mother Theresa reincarnated. :)

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
Now you're making me seem like a big potty mouth. :oops: ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Yup, it's true, I curse like a sailor. Most of the time I don't even realize that I'm doing it, which is a problem with my daughter being around now. I need to learn to watch my language a little. :oops: I'm able to keep it in check when I type though, which is a good thing. I'd have to kick myself out of here if I typed the first thing that came to mind. ;)