• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Waxing

hammer

If I put the blue wax on the skis a few weeks ago do I need to "change it out" for a different color now or does it matter? If I should, what is the procedure for doing so?

drjeff

If I put the blue wax on the skis a few weeks ago do I need to "change it out" for a different color now or does it matter? If I should, what is the procedure for doing so?

Blue wax (or any other "arctic" temperature wax for that matter) is about the only kind of wax that I really found the need to do a hot scrape when I waxed with temp specific wax, to get it out of the base, especially if there was a decent amount of wax visibly left (a shiny base) and the temps warmed up. That cold temp wax is relatively speaking a real hard wax and doesn't have nearly as much water repellancy (read as better glide) in warmer temps.

To get it out of there via a hot scrape, well use either some warmer weather wax, or even some plain old parafin wax, iron it into the base and then quickly scrape the excess off, re-iron(but don't add any more wax) and then scrape again - repeat this for 3 or 4 cycles until a very small amount of wax is all that can be scraped, and you've just removed/displaced the vast majority of the old wax from your base. Then feel free to add whatever temp wax you'll need/want for your next time out on the hill