• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/11 - 12 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Where do I look at for the Catskills version of this? :spread:

I have not found them all. you have to go to each weather forecast office and troll around.

I'm not real familiar with the cats. Do these cover it?

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Masskier

Storm is moving further North. Winter Storm Warnings are now posted through Northern VT. Yeah!!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
200 PM EST WED JAN 12 2011

NYZ034-035-VTZ003>007-017-130300-
/O.UPG.KBTV.WW.Y.0004.000000T0000Z-110113T0000Z/
/O.EXB.KBTV.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-110113T0600Z/
WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-
LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...
TICONDEROGA...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...
STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...UNDERHILL
200 PM EST WED JAN 12 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY. THE
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

WJenness

Just came off the hill at SR... easily 8+... not the totals of some of the VT places, but I had a HELL of a day out there...

Still coming down pretty good... Russ (SR's forecaster) is calling for 16"+ at elevation by the time it's done.

No lines out there today, plenty of powder to go around... had a smile on my face all day. :)

-w

lerops

I have not found them all. you have to go to each weather forecast office and troll around.

I'm not real familiar with the cats. Do these cover it?

StormTotalSnowFcst.png
Kind of does on the border. 11 or so. Thanks! Will check out different offices. Teach me to fish, and ... :D

jrmagic

It just restarted here in Lex. moderate to heavy again. Was dry for abt an hour.
You'll get yours. But I'd rather give it to Magic ;)
Based on that last graphic you posted with SoVt getting 2 feet plus I think Magic is doing just fine. I was able to rearrange my scedule and am heading up tonight for 5 days of skiing Magic pow Woot Woot!!.

noski

They actually called this pretty well 5 days out. Impressive for once.

For you, yes, but not for central/northern Vt..... But I am NOT complaining at the upgrade from weather advisory to winter storm warning! Still coming down nicely in the MRV!

Glenn

Anyone know how much they got in the Brattleboro area? About 20" here in CT. I have to say, they weather forecast ws pretty accurate on this one; from timing to amounts, they did good.

We just got back from running errands. Side roads are a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if school is cancelled again tomorrow. No mail delivery today. And a package I have coming from UPS got delayed.

I'll try and post some pics of the snowblowing adventure.

jrmagic

Anyone know how much they got in the Brattleboro area? About 20" here in CT. I have to say, they weather forecast ws pretty accurate on this one; from timing to amounts, they did good.

We just got back from running errands. Side roads are a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if school is cancelled again tomorrow. No mail delivery today. And a package I have coming from UPS got delayed.

I'll try and post some pics of the snowblowing adventure.

Judging by that graphic Bill posted Brattleboro got heavily pounded.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Judging by that graphic Bill posted Brattleboro got heavily pounded.

the graphic was a forecast. I'm hoping the upslope magnified that even more.
Here are some spotter readings:

source: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=PNS
Read the timestamps carefully, cause it kept snowing after many of those readings were taken.

VERMONT

...BENNINGTON COUNTY...
WOODFORD 26.0 1154 AM 1/12 WEATHERNET6
LANDGROVE 16.0 1143 AM 1/12 WEATHERNET6
BENNINGTON 10.0 1130 AM 1/12 WXNET6

...WINDHAM COUNTY...
GUILFORD 20.0 230 PM 1/12 TRAINED SPOTTER
SOUTH NEWFANE 17.5 421 PM 1/12

MARLBORO 16.1 1200 PM 1/12

psyflyer

Today at Burke was awesome. We were expecting a couple of inches but instead we got a solid foot. The mountain was empty and we rode glades most of the day. At first we were ducking ropes but it snowed enough for ski patrol to open the trails half through the afternoon. Wilderness and Saskwatch were awesome. It was a welcome unexpected snowfall which did the mountain a ton of good. With this new snow they should be open 100% with most glades after this snowfall. Tomorrow and MLK weekend should be pretty good.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Today at Burke was awesome. We were expecting a couple of inches but instead we got a solid foot. The mountain was empty and we rode glades most of the day. At first we were ducking ropes but it snowed enough for ski patrol to open the trails half through the afternoon. Wilderness and Saskwatch were awesome. It was a welcome unexpected snowfall which did the mountain a ton of good. With this new snow they should be open 100% with most glades after this snowfall. Tomorrow and MLK weekend should be pretty good.

wow. Friday is ski club open house $15 tickets!

Masskier

Conditions at Burke will be great this weekend. Thanks for the update

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Anyone know how much they got in the Brattleboro area? About 20" here in CT.
I would say AT LEAST that much. I'm about 20 miles southeast of there and have 20" of nice fluffy powder. The throat on the snowblower is 20" high and I was right at the limit until I got to the street where I buried it.

drjeff

I would say AT LEAST that much. I'm about 20 miles southeast of there and have 20" of nice fluffy powder. The throat on the snowblower is 20" high and I was right at the limit until I got to the street where I buried it.

Same thing in Eastern CT. I was right at the 20" throat limit, and then bam, I hit where the plow had done it's thing and for the first time in a LONG time I was wishing that I had the drift cutter bars on my snowblower - easily 3 feet plus at the end of my driveway.

Took me 3 hours and 2 tanks of gas to get my 200+ foot driveway, front walk, back patio, and path around my house to both the oil tank and propane tank cleared.

For the 1st time in a long time, I feel like i'd be a hypocrit if I said to someone, "well that storm wasn't too bad, I remember the one when I was a kid ....." :lol: