• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/11 - 12 Storm Discussion Thread

4aprice

No worries. So how accurate is the NWS forecast for the Pocono's on this one? It seems like the #'s have been trending downwards over the past 36 hours.

Winter Weather Advisory, 3-6 inches of snow at Tannersville. We just had about 5 over the weekend so its starting to add up.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The winds are setup nicely for serious up-slope potential.

map_wnd_day2_3usne_enus_600x405.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Too funny. I expected panic and whining reader responses. I love the positive attitude! From Boston.com:

"I'm just excited that I'll be able to pick up some new lawn funriture to have for springtime. They give it away in Southie, you know, right after every snow storm. It must be a cultural thing - sacrifices to the snow gods or something like that. Whatever...who doesn't love free furniture???"

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Interesting discrepancies between Albany vs MA and NoVT projections on snow totals. Albany seems a lot more bearish on snow for the Berks and SoVT compared to MA and NoVT NWS projection maps. I like Burlington's map, that is very generous compared to the forecasts I have reviewed. Maybe add a few inches for the mountains?

ALY Albany shows mass getting 4". Across the forcast line, a few miles away, BOS is forecasting 12-13. It's not just conservative, it's waaaaay off.

Then again, BTV and GYX are off a bit across border, but not nearly as bad as ALY and BOS.

gmcunni

noon report from CT DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT & HOMELAND SECURITY

Detailed Forecast for Tonight and Wednesday:
This Evening: Becoming Cloudy with snow moving into the state from South to North around 9:00 PM along the coast, 11:00 PM in the Hartford Area and Midnight along the MA border.

Overnight: The snow is forecast to become heavy at times by 1:00 AM with snowfall rates of 2 – 3 inches per hour and blowing and drifting snow. If any banding occurs snowfall rates could reach 4+ inches per hour for a few hours in some towns. Lows in the mid 20’s with Northeast winds increasing to 15 – 20 MPH. Travel is expected to become extremely hazardous by daybreak with snow covered roads and very low visibilities.

Wednesday Morning: Snow heavy at times through mid-morning with snowfall rates of 1 – 3 inches per hour and blowing and drifting snow. Temperatures holding in the mid 20’s with North winds increasing to 20 – 25 MPH. A major impact on the morning rush hour is likely with heavy snow falling, 10 – 15 inches of snow on the ground and very low visibilities. The snowfall intensity is forecast to drop down to moderate by late morning.

Wednesday Afternoon: Moderate snow tapering off to light snow from Southwest to Northeast between Noon - 2:00 PM with considerable blowing and drifting snow through the afternoon rush hour. Temperatures falling into the low 20’s with Northwest winds at 20 – 30 MPH. At this time a moderate impact on the Wednesday afternoon rush hour is likely with light snow falling and blowing and drifting snow on roads. The light snow is forecast to end completely by 6:00 PM Wednesday evening.

Total snowfall is currently forecast to range from 15 – 20 inches statewide with slightly lesser amounts in the far NW Hills and higher amounts possible in Central and Northeastern CT.

No coastal flooding or icing is expected with this storm and winds are not forecast to be as strong as the December blizzard. The Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security will continue to closely monitor this major winter storm and will issue another update at 4:00 PM this afternoon.

John W

MOGELUR, you just made my fricken Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Killington, thursday night through monday and I can't wait!

mondeo

Already on the short list. Will be interesting to see if Magic opens Weds. I could see Magic skiing amazingly better on Thurs after cumulative snow fall. MRG opens the Double tomorrow. Will be interesting if the Single is kept off line on Weds due to winds.
Forecast for Pico just got a whole lot better from NWS, looking at around a foot now. My Wateas are kept at Killington, so Pico's the obvious choice for me, but Magic's an option as well. And thinking maybe Ascutney for Saturday. Really need to use the skins some this year.

bheemsoth

noon report from CT DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT & HOMELAND SECURITY

Detailed Forecast for Tonight and Wednesday:
This Evening: Becoming Cloudy with snow moving into the state from South to North around 9:00 PM along the coast, 11:00 PM in the Hartford Area and Midnight along the MA border.

Overnight: The snow is forecast to become heavy at times by 1:00 AM with snowfall rates of 2 – 3 inches per hour and blowing and drifting snow. If any banding occurs snowfall rates could reach 4+ inches per hour for a few hours in some towns. Lows in the mid 20’s with Northeast winds increasing to 15 – 20 MPH. Travel is expected to become extremely hazardous by daybreak with snow covered roads and very low visibilities.

Wednesday Morning: Snow heavy at times through mid-morning with snowfall rates of 1 – 3 inches per hour and blowing and drifting snow. Temperatures holding in the mid 20’s with North winds increasing to 20 – 25 MPH. A major impact on the morning rush hour is likely with heavy snow falling, 10 – 15 inches of snow on the ground and very low visibilities. The snowfall intensity is forecast to drop down to moderate by late morning.

Wednesday Afternoon: Moderate snow tapering off to light snow from Southwest to Northeast between Noon - 2:00 PM with considerable blowing and drifting snow through the afternoon rush hour. Temperatures falling into the low 20’s with Northwest winds at 20 – 30 MPH. At this time a moderate impact on the Wednesday afternoon rush hour is likely with light snow falling and blowing and drifting snow on roads. The light snow is forecast to end completely by 6:00 PM Wednesday evening.

Total snowfall is currently forecast to range from 15 – 20 inches statewide with slightly lesser amounts in the far NW Hills and higher amounts possible in Central and Northeastern CT.

No coastal flooding or icing is expected with this storm and winds are not forecast to be as strong as the December blizzard. The Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security will continue to closely monitor this major winter storm and will issue another update at 4:00 PM this afternoon.

Woot. Epic Sundown trip tomorrow night!

WJenness

NWS ME still hasn't updated point forecasts... last update 6:39AM...

C'mon!!! UPDATE! Impatient Wayne wants new info!

-w

WinnChill

NWS ME still hasn't updated point forecasts... last update 6:39AM...

C'mon!!! UPDATE! Impatient Wayne wants new info!

-w

Could see Shawnee through Camden getting at or just under a foot---less further north (sharp cutoff)...at or just under half a foot for SR/Saddle/SL. Still pretty tricky

SKIQUATTRO

i'll sacrafice the 15-20 forecasted for here on LI, for it all to dump in northern VT....

Edd

Winn, is Bretton Woods looking better than Sunday River for snowfall? The winds are making me think BW but I want to factor everything in.

I'm closest to Gunstock but I never ski there and don't know how wind resistant they are.