• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
38 miles at around 16 mph... another solo ride.

It's amazing how much more work it is riding by yourself than riding with just one partner.

The route today was hilly as all hell. Lot of elevation, trying to work on my climbing.

bruno

andyzee said:
  1. Partner pushes you
  2. Drafting is always nice
  3. It's just more fun
Of course, this all depends on the partner

oh yeah! i got in a group of 4 road dudes in full kit and we cruised at 22 to 25 mph from just past arlington center to lexington. i didn't do any leadin' (hahahahaha!!!!:smile: ), but they were goin' good and i hung with 'em on my fixed gear. i dropped out at lexington center to drink some water, then rode solo.

55 miles yesterday including commute.:beer: :beer: :snow: :daffy: :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Lookin good Bruno! I did one bike race in my life, 32 miles at an avg. speed of 26 mph. The pack was so tight that there was rarely less than an inch of two between me and the biker in front, back, and sides, that was a trip! Oh, I did lead a lot of times, funny, it's a race and people try not to lead :) And it was great to constently be in the front pack, because when you're that tight and one person goes down, a number of people go down. From what I'm told, this happened a number of times behind me.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Been trying to do longer trips on weekends, didn't happen this weekend. Yesterday went blueberry picking, today decided to cut back so that I can do something with my wife, results:

Today 20.34 miles @ 16.8 mph on the road bike on my own.
13.6 miles @ 11.6 mph on the hybrid with my wife.

Also both of my bikes are out of comission :( popped a spoke on the hybrid.
Snapped the shifter cable on the road bike :(

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
andyzee said:
Been trying to do longer trips on weekends, didn't happen this weekend. Yesterday went blueberry picking, today decided to cut back so that I can do something with my wife, results:

Today 20.34 miles @ 16.8 mph on my own.
13.6 miles @ 11.6 mph with my wife.

Also both of my bikes are out of comission :( popped a spoke on the hybrid.
Snapped the shifter cable on the road bike :(

Wow, was your cable rubbing somewhere or something? At least cables are easy to replace. I'd spend money on housing but there's a cable kit they sell at Wal Mart that's super cheap, and if you're not racing, I'd use those cables.

That's a crappy breakdown to have, one of the few you can't fix on the road with an alien, but at least it is easy and cheap to remedy.

I bent an XTR derailleur today on my MTB. That's a lot worse.

About 10 -12 miles on the trail today, rocky as all hell. We went to Douglas State Forest. It was amazing, I've never ridden anything so rocky for so long before in my life. It was hard, hard riding. I'm pooped. I'll go out tomorrow on the road for a short 20-30 miler I think.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc said:
Wow, was your cable rubbing somewhere or something? At least cables are easy to replace. I'd spend money on housing but there's a cable kit they sell at Wal Mart that's super cheap, and if you're not racing, I'd use those cables.

That's a crappy breakdown to have, one of the few you can't fix on the road with an alien, but at least it is easy and cheap to remedy.

I bent an XTR derailleur today on my MTB. That's a lot worse.

About 10 -12 miles on the trail today, rocky as all hell. We went to Douglas State Forest. It was amazing, I've never ridden anything so rocky for so long before in my life. It was hard, hard riding. I'm pooped. I'll go out tomorrow on the road for a short 20-30 miler I think.

Fortunetly the cable didn't snap on the road, it happened while I was trying to adjust the shifter. But bottom line, it was a bad day, I got two bike and none that I can ride til they are fixed. Hope you don't have too much trouble fixing that derailleur.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
andyzee said:
Fortunetly the cable didn't snap on the road, it happened while I was trying to adjust the shifter. But bottom line, it was a bad day, I got two bike and none that I can ride til they are fixed. Hope you don't have too much trouble fixing that derailleur.

Thanks, but most of the time a bent derailleur means replacement. Somehow the cage bent but the hanger didn't budge.

Another $90 down the toilet. Time for a new headset too. I should find some cheaper sports.

skibum1321

I went for a 54 mile ride yesterday with CRW. We started in Bedford and went out to Harvard. There were some good hills out during the western most part of the ride. We started out in a pretty big group until the hills broke us up. After that I was with the second group, which was 5 people. My computer was broken, but we averaged ~20mph.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
skibum1321 said:
I went for a 54 mile ride yesterday with CRW. We started in Bedford and went out to Harvard. There were some good hills out during the western most part of the ride. We started out in a pretty big group until the hills broke us up. After that I was with the second group, which was 5 people. My computer was broken, but we averaged ~20mph.

Nice, always good riding in a group.

cbcbd

Cool, found the bike log, nice idea...

Yesterday went riding with a friend and his brother starting in Pittsfield, going up Greylock and Whitcomb and then back on 8.

66 miles @ ~12 (don't remember the number)

...and talking of broken spokes... I broke two on my rear wheel with thankfully only ~10 to go

We were thinking of doing the century... good thing we decided against that early on, I would've been screwed.

cbcbd

Marc said:
Thanks, but most of the time a bent derailleur means replacement. Somehow the cage bent but the hanger didn't budge.

Another $90 down the toilet. Time for a new headset too. I should find some cheaper sports.
That really sucks and it's really odd.

I am still waiting (1 month) for a replacement hanger for my brand new RM Slayer... third time out and the thing cracked... but yeah, better than the derailleur.

jplynch019

37 solo on Sunday through Western CT, NY State Line. New route, never biked before. A few good climbs. 18.5 MPH average.

bruno

50 on saturday includin' commute (so 30 just ridin' out concord carlisle bedford area).

hikin' in da whites (adams via airline) on sunday. :snow:

40 yesterday.:-x :) :grin: :daffy: :eek:

still gonna give myself a present when i reach 10,000 miles--a club racer form antbike mike!! (am at 3500 since halloween last.):flag:

i know i'm a mileage slut.:grin: :lol: :cool:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
OK, got the spoke replaced on my wheel on the hybrid, road bike is in the shop. So today I rode the hybrid, did better then I expected with regards to avg speed. Did 16.1 miles @ 15.5 mph avg. Same trip on my road bike last week was at 17.1 mph.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Bleh, nothing new to report. Horrible sore legs after the ride on Sunday... attributed to a hard ride and terrible nutrion practice that day.

And the rest of the week has been rainy and humid... = teh suck.

cbcbd

Road bike out of commission for a while...

Put my new derailleur hanger on the mtb and went for 1hr ride in Mianus yesterday. It had been over a month of waiting for the stupid hanger, I missed my ride!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
cbcbd said:
Road bike out of commission for a while...

Put my new derailleur hanger on the mtb and went for 1hr ride in Mianus yesterday. It had been over a month of waiting for the stupid hanger, I missed my ride!

Details dude, details :)