• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Giant Ledge & Panther, (Catskills)

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 1/24/04

Trails(s) Hiked: Trail from CR 47 to Panther & return

Total Distance: 6.6 miles RT

Difficulty: Panther is one of the easier 3500 peaks in the Catskills while Giant Ledge is 3,200 feet with a few view points offering views to Burroughs Range & straight down over trees & Woodland Valley

Conditions: Quite nippy & cold, a bit slick descending into Giant Ledge Panter col from Giant Ledge

Special Required Equipment: Crampons were very helpful descending Giant Ledge & added some security on some points of Panther. Wind-proof clothing & Gaiters which I managed to forget.

Trip Report: See above, not much snow but a few points were it drifted was deep enough to get into my Koflachs between the inner & outer boot where it eventually froze into an ice heel lift. Al got to use his crampons for the first time & this was his first Catskill trip. We saw about 11 people on this third real cold weekend. Not the coldest of January but I've had warmer winter days too.