• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/18 - 19 Storm Discussion Thread

WinnChill

Is it too early to speculate on snowfall amounts for Northern VT? Here the local weather gal says 3-6 for Burke. She is more often wrong than right... but we will take what we can.Thanks.

We've been ballparking about half a foot (snow followed by mixing) for most areas with this storm since about Friday and have narrowed down some totals on our site. We like just under half a foot for Burke too since they'll be further from the heavier snow. Hope that helps.

mondeo

Woods are still a little sketchy at the moment. Half a foot of heavy should finish them off in front of any more powder.

WinnChill

Woods are still a little sketchy at the moment. Half a foot of heavy should finish them off in front of any more powder.

We may tweak amounts for most areas up a little today too--not by much though, probably a couple or few inches.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Not sure where you're talking about, but we thought that on Saturday JP needed about 12" to not hit any bottom, and they got 6" that next night. So 6" to go...

Anyways, this storm is going to depoit > 1" rain on metro Boston, then freeze up. Tell me again why I washed the car of the Vermont salt today? :roll:
I guess I'll sacrifice so that the mountains can benefit.

Last edited:

Glenn

Could stay mostly snow @ the mountain.....looks like a bit of a mix at the VT house. CT will be a mixed bag. I bet there's a run on milk and bread already. Ha!

psyflyer

Started snowing just over an hour ago on burke Mt. and there is a good inch on the ground already. Its coming down hard and should make for a terrific powder hunting day on the slopes. Last night was very cold, my car temperature reader at 6pm said it was -6, hoping the temperature stays below freezing so it can be an all snow event for up here. If it does the mountain should be 100% open. :snow:

Greg

Staff member
We picked up about 2 1/2 inches. Now we're experiencing a good ole fashioned CT sleet storm. Better than rain, I guess which is coming apparently...

drjeff

We picked up about 2 1/2 inches. Now we're experiencing a good ole fashioned CT sleet storm. Better than rain, I guess which is coming apparently...

About the same thing in NE CT now - 2-3" on the ground, moderate sleet and 21 degrees per the thermometer outside my office window now - could get real ugly freezing rain wise later since it's going to take a bunch of effort to get this cold surface air out of here to avoid any freezing rain:eek: Sleet - ok plain rain - ok freezing rain - bad!

UVSHTSTRM

Started snowing just over an hour ago on burke Mt. and there is a good inch on the ground already. Its coming down hard and should make for a terrific powder hunting day on the slopes. Last night was very cold, my car temperature reader at 6pm said it was -6, hoping the temperature stays below freezing so it can be an all snow event for up here. If it does the mountain should be 100% open. :snow:

I don't think you need to worry about it up there anyhow, but most places that will get sleet and freezing rain won't go above the freezing mark at ground level. It's the mid level temps that will be the issue. Here in Claremont, NH we have 3 maybe 4 inches of snow on the ground with 15 degree ground temp, but we still are suppose to get sleet/freezing rain with temps expected to only get up to 28 or 30 degrees. I might be wrong, as it is weather and weather changes.

Greg

Staff member
Holy dry slot. And in this case, that's a good thing...

wa-loaf

It's still dumping in Cambridge which is probably a good sign for further north. Going to add up to a lot more than the 1-3 they predicted and probably make it that much worse once the rain hits.

WJenness

Snow still coming down pretty good here in Woburn... Parking loot looks like 3-4" right now... maybe a bit more... the route 38 rotary is totally snow covered, and traffic on 128 looks to be traveling at <20mph southbound...

-w

drjeff

Upto 32 and rain outside my office right now - actually hoping it warms up a few more degrees and melts some of this slop, or else clearing my driveway this evening is going to be an absolute beast of a job :eek: