• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Food at Hunter

keyser soze

Is it me, or has the food at Hunter been especially blah this year? I'm not a picky eater and after skiing for several hours usually almost anything is delicious and satisfying. One time I had chilli which was borderline nasty and another time I had some corn chowder soup and that was barely edible. There were some guys sitting next to me and one had gotten the stir fry. He took a couple of bites and tossed the rest.

I know most ski area food is nothing to write home about, but this food was noticably shitty. How hard is it to make a decent bowl of chilli or soup?

Aside from that, the lady who serves this stuff fills it an inch from the top. WTF??. I'm paying a lot for a crummy cup of soup and you don't even fill it up?:confused::confused:

Greg

Staff member
I had a bacon cheese burger last week that was really good. Although usually I get so hungry skiing, I'll eat tree bark. It seems like the prices went up a lot though.

dmc

I only eat sushi and pizza at the base so I can't comment. But what I hear from everyone is pretty much the opposite of your experience..

The new food at the summit is pretty good this year - it's the sausage guy form the summer festivals

bvibert

Staff member
I thought the burger that I got there on Monday was pretty good, despite being on the pricey side. Although, like Greg, I'm not too picky when it comes to food while skiing. A slightly okay burger is all I really require.

crank

We ate at their Copper Tree restaurant to skier's left of the ticket window area last Sunday. Not really a restaurant, more of a cafeteria with different food. It was decent food though. My son had the mac & cheese and some sweet potato fries and a bottle of soda. (no fountain drinks there) I had a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw and a bottle of poweraid. Total was $28. Everything was pretty good. The only weird thing was they were playing the Jimmy Buffet, Margaritaville station on the radio and the bar tenders were wearing Hawaiian shirts. Didn't quite fit with the snow that was falling outside the window.

ScottySkis

I ate at Scotties on the summit and the Cheeseburger was great,price was good to for a ski hill,and i kind of like the name too.

Steve

As I get older and can afford it more, I just hate being ripped off. Hence I usually brown bag it no matter where I go.

The skiing I happily pay for, the rip off food at Disneyland prices not so much.

catskillman

Saw Orville Sunday - He was definitly eating the food but he certainily was not picking up any trays. He is walking with a cane and the aid of another person.

The food out of the smoker is excellant. The bar in the copper tree is now an island bar, which explains Jimmey on the radio and the Hawaiian shirts. Word is the bartenders were dying from the heat of the sun coming in and came up with Island Bar idea so they could wear shorts.

the Baked Potatoe and Roasted Pepper Soup with Smoked Gouda are also excellant by the way.

ScottySkis

I got to see Orville office a few years ago wow a lot of papers everywere he bought all of our lunches he's a great guy

JimmyPete

The food isn't so bad but the two weekdays I was there the music played at the base lodge sucked.