• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/16/2011 Mt. Whittier (nelsap) Misery 'tour'

eatskisleep

Any more TR's from Whitter in the past? I used to always dream of this ski area as a kid driving by it. Good work man, looks like a nice day of exploration and a solid TR write-up too.

bigbog

Could feel every portion of your TR DHS = nice!...not your Vail type of day, but a true outdoors day. There's a hill SE of home whose ascent growth is very similar. Sometimes packing the ski clothes and wearing climbing outfit makes the day a lot more comfortable...even though the toweldown and changeover has to be a bit quick. Doesn't an owner have to have sign-age, here & there, around property? Think you originally might've picked the right side of the hill for potential pow-stashes....that guy simply didn't want you in stash-discovery mode.
Terrific TR/pics, although I know what they feel like at the time... Certainly great exercise eh'!
$.01

Last edited:

skidmarks

Great Job!! Sorry you got your ass kicked!!! Sometimes the Mountain wins!!
Great TR!! Solid effort.

KD7000

Awesome trip report!

Having driven up under those lift cables a zillion times, I was fascinated by that mountain. A couple years ago when coming back from Conway, a friend and I decided to check it out. We weren't prepared for an actual hike, just kind of scoping it out.

We saw the decrepit looking base lodge building, which looked like someone was living in it.

We were creeped out, so we bailed. :smile:

Greg

Staff member
Sorry it wasn't the best experience, but it made for one helluva TR. Nice work.

jrmagic

sorry it didn't go better but thanks for the excellent TR. Look at it this way... you learned a lot and chances are good that your next trip will be much better.

bigbog

Kudos dhs...but that's right I remember this thread of back when...LOL.
File under: What doesn't kill ya'...makes you stonger! I'd call that a total success....of the rough country type...fwiw...some of the armor available to wear makes it a lot softer.....but agreed, what to cover the bootsoles with, in the woods, is still..today, 2014, a work-in-progress.