• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski boot specs

gmcunni

anyone know of a website that accumulates or aggregates ski boot specifications? i enjoy wasting hours of time on the internet over-analyzing purchasing decisions and i'd like to find a site that compares boot from multiple manufacturers.

a site where i can put in specs like 103mm Footbed width, 3 buckle, Flex index = 90 - 120 and then have the site spit back all the boots that meet my criteria.

a lot of retailers offer some sorting but seems to be more price/brand than spec related.

drjeff

I think the biggest issue you'd have with all that data is that ski boot flexes don't have an industry standard, so what is a 110 flex for one manufacturer might be anothers 90 flex and a thirds 130 flex :smash: More of an apples to oranges instead of an apples to apples kind of thing

Beetlenut

My GOD! :-o .... And have informed buyers purchase the correct ski boot the first time! You must be mad!
The industry would never tollerate that!

Madroch

anyone know of a website that accumulates or aggregates ski boot specifications? i enjoy wasting hours of time on the internet over-analyzing purchasing decisions and i'd like to find a site that compares boot from multiple manufacturers.

a site where i can put in specs like 103mm Footbed width, 3 buckle, Flex index = 90 - 120 and then have the site spit back all the boots that meet my criteria.

a lot of retailers offer some sorting but seems to be more price/brand than spec related.

My GOD! :-o .... And have informed buyers purchase the correct ski boot the first time! You must be mad!
The industry would never tollerate that!

I had the uncomfortable chuckle of self realization with Gary's post, but was calmed to know that it is not an illness but a ski industry conspiracy.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you are in the market for boots, stats won't help. You gotta try them on. Not only to flex ratings vary between different companies, they can vary within a companies entire lineup. Worse yet, different skiers can rate flex differently depending on weight, athleticism, and ability. Try on all the boots that are in your category range and slam that tongue how you like it, its the only way you'll ever know.

gmcunni

If you are in the market for boots, stats won't help. You gotta try them on. Not only to flex ratings vary between different companies, they can vary within a companies entire lineup. Worse yet, different skiers can rate flex differently depending on weight, athleticism, and ability. Try on all the boots that are in your category range and slam that tongue how you like it, its the only way you'll ever know.

no plans to order something sight unseen from ebay or some e-tailer and I get that flex isn't a standard + is subjective. i'm more concerned with footbed width as i have a wide foot. Yes, a good boot fitter will point me to the right boot and may be able to take a narrow boot and make it work for me, but as i said, i ENJOY over-analyzing stuff and would feel better having a list of candidates rather than walking in and saying "what do you have for me?".

i *could* go to all the manufacturers website, read every model's spec and create my own comparison but i don't enjoy that part of the analytics.

mlctvt

I agree there's got to be information somewhere especially on width. When I bought my boot I just went to a bootfitter, he measured my feet and said I've got just 3 boots that will fit your wide feet. I tried all three but only one fit well.
He knew what the wide boot were!

I'm hoping to keep my 3 year old Salomon X-Waves for a while since the new Salomons aren't as wide.

Rushski

Skis.com has pull-downs that can filter different aspects of the boots they carry. Of course this should only be used as a reference and not in the place of trying boots on in a reputable shop.

gmcunni

Skis.com has pull-downs that can filter different aspects of the boots they carry. Of course this should only be used as a reference and not in the place of trying boots on in a reputable shop.

thanks, exactly what i'm looking for as a reference. though it seems to be limited to what they have in stock as i know dalbello makes a boot in 103 width that doesn't show on their list while other dalbellos do. but it is a great start!

Hawkshot99

Just because a boot is a certain width does not mean it will fit you. I currently wear a pair of Atomic Hawx boots. They are 100mm wide for the last. Every time I have tried on a 98mm boot it has been very painful. Tecnica has a series this year called the Inferno. It is 98mm wide and I can wear them for a long time in the shop with no problems.

Were the boot is a certain mm width is just as important as what that width is. A few weeks ago a man cam in who had bought the Atomic LiveFit that has a rubber sidewall, to allow a much wider foot to go in them. The only problem was that he had VERY short toes and the wide part of his foot was infront of the flexible part. The boot was crushing his foot because of the placement of his foot in it. This was after a "bootfitter" had done his work with him. We pulled his foot backwards in the boot, and you could then see the sides bulge out.

Rushski

Definitely agree w/Hawkshot, boots can vary even in the same lengths and widths between models. The Tecnicas I brought back have a very tepered toebox, even at 100mm, compared to other brands (or so I'm told). Also they have a lower heel-instep ratio, which was a problem w/my feet.

The Salomon Quests I now have are actually a .5 size down but feel bigger than the Tecnicas.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've been thinking about new boots this season. My other ones are still OK.... but I'm sure I could do a lot better and I've always felt a bit off in the ones I have now. Not enough lateral support. They are either too tight or too loose. no sweet spot.

But I have no idea where to begin. :lol:

gmcunni

i've been on the skinet.com site for the past 30 minutes sorting and reading. seems pretty good for basic research. put in your budget and desired features and you get a nice list of potential matches.

hammer

I've been thinking about new boots this season. My other ones are still OK.... but I'm sure I could do a lot better and I've always felt a bit off in the ones I have now. Not enough lateral support. They are either too tight or too loose. no sweet spot.

But I have no idea where to begin. :lol:

This guy...or another boot fitter of your choice...

http://www.profileorthoticcenter.com

In my experience (on my 3rd pair of boots and the 2nd pair are still fine) it helps to get a boot fitter to evaluate your situation and provide recommendations before you go shopping.

gmcunni

i stumbled upon the Dalbello BOSS ID boot.. i'd been interested in the Kryptons in the past but they didn't fit my feet well, the BOSS is a similar 3 buckle "look" but wider foot bed and alower flex rating than the Ks. even tho it is 3 buckle i dno't think it shares the same shell design as the Krypton. Anybody hear anything on this boot?

Hawkshot99

i stumbled upon the Dalbello BOSS ID boot.. i'd been interested in the Kryptons in the past but they didn't fit my feet well, the BOSS is a similar 3 buckle "look" but wider foot bed and alower flex rating than the Ks. even tho it is 3 buckle i dno't think it shares the same shell design as the Krypton. Anybody hear anything on this boot?

I own these. They arrived 2 days ago, so not a ton of time in them yet.

They are somewhat similar to the kryptons, mainly because of the center buckle. I have owned the Dalbello Blender in the past, which are similar, but a softer flex. I really enjoyed those in the past, and am looking forward to the ID liner, and stiffer flex.

They do not have all of the adjustments of the Kryptons unfortunately, but happen to fit my foot quite well. I was never able to wear a Krypton comfortably, mainly because my instep was too high, and the last a bit narrow.

The ID version is significantly lighter than the regular pait I have on the wall.

skidmarks

Boss ID is a 3 Piece Shell for a wide foot! Great boot and a good seller at the shop

jrmagic

I desperately need new boots this season. I've been in a pair of Atomic Supercross boots since I guess 03' maybe 04'. I will start looking at some specs so thanks for the link but mainly when I get up north I'll be heading to Green Mountain Ortho and talking to them about my options and going from there. It took 3 sessions with the last pair to get them dialed in.