• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chili recipes

ZYDECORICH

I make one I call Voodoo Chili (how odd) equal parts ground beef,chuck steak diced,alligator sausage, add onion, garlic,crushed tomatoes,toasted cumin seeds,chili powder,jalapeno's,little sugar. any others you like?

Geoff

My chicken chili:

The chili powder:
Whole smoked ancho chilis, chipotle chilis, and New Mexico chilis: de-seeded and ground in the small food processor. It's about 5 parts ancho, 3 parts New Mexican, 1 part chipotle. Add an equal amount of cumin and about half as much oregano.

Slice a package of smoked chicken sausage. Brown. Set aside on a paper towel on a plate.

Saute a large onion in olive oil. Toss in a few crushed garlic cloves near the end. If I have them, 3 or 4chopped fresh poblano chilis go in with the onion and one serano chili.

If I know there are people who hate hot-spicy food, I cut way back on the chipotle and omit the serano. The more kinds of peppers you use, the more complex the flavor.

Coursely chop a couple of pounds of boneless chicken thighs. Toss into the pot with the onion and brown it.

College Inn chicken stock, canned black beans, a container of Parmalat chopped tomato, the sausage, and a cup of brown rice. Sometimes, I'll use wild rice but that more than doubles the cooking time. The wild rice I use takes more than an hour to cook to the point where the outer husk pops.

My real trick is using a tablespoon of "More Than Gourmet" roasted chicken demi-glace. It's like a bullion on steroids. I use More Than Gourmet products in pretty much any soup or stew I make.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll have to check out the 'More than Gourmet' product.

I'm a fan of Better than Bouillon.

snoseek

I like green chili.
That chicken chili sounds great, I really love all forms of chili.

Deadhead, do you carry that stock reduction that is sold in five one pound frozen blocks with the classic french names? Glace De Veau, glace de poulet ect...... Thats the stuff! Maybe similer to what goeff is talking about, pure meat stock reduction, no additive bs. I swear by the stuff...

ZYDECORICH

My chicken chili:

The chili powder:
Whole smoked ancho chilis, chipotle chilis, and New Mexico chilis: de-seeded and ground in the small food processor. It's about 5 parts ancho, 3 parts New Mexican, 1 part chipotle. Add an equal amount of cumin and about half as much oregano.

Slice a package of smoked chicken sausage. Brown. Set aside on a paper towel on a plate.

Saute a large onion in olive oil. Toss in a few crushed garlic cloves near the end. If I have them, 3 or 4chopped fresh poblano chilis go in with the onion and one serano chili.

If I know there are people who hate hot-spicy food, I cut way back on the chipotle and omit the serano. The more kinds of peppers you use, the more complex the flavor.

Coursely chop a couple of pounds of boneless chicken thighs. Toss into the pot with the onion and brown it.

College Inn chicken stock, canned black beans, a container of Parmalat chopped tomato, the sausage, and a cup of brown rice. Sometimes, I'll use wild rice but that more than doubles the cooking time. The wild rice I use takes more than an hour to cook to the point where the outer husk pops.

My real trick is using a tablespoon of "More Than Gourmet" roasted chicken demi-glace. It's like a bullion on steroids. I use More Than Gourmet products in pretty much any soup or stew I make.

That sounds great! i try that version without the serano or chipotle so the kids will eat it. i make a turkey version of mine also without the any beef but keep the gator sausage,that in itself is pretty spicy. thanks!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like green chili.
That chicken chili sounds great, I really love all forms of chili.

Deadhead, do you carry that stock reduction that is sold in five one pound frozen blocks with the classic french names? Glace De Veau, glace de poulet ect...... Thats the stuff! Maybe similer to what goeff is talking about, pure meat stock reduction, no additive bs. I swear by the stuff...

we make our own veal demi and a duck and veal demi that are both great. comes in 7oz retail containers or 1 gallon / 9# bulk containers. great stuff. they sell at the Butcher Boy down by where you work.

Most of the time I make my own chicken stock. I'll reduce it down by half to concentrate it and store in the freezer in 8 oz tupperwares. Then just add a cup of water to it when I use it.

I keep a chicken, beef and clam Better than Bouillon in the fridge as a back up. Good product.

Geoff

I'll have to check out the 'More than Gourmet' product.

I'm a fan of Better than Bouillon.

I get my More Than Gourmet stuff over the internet from here:
http://www.clubsauce.com/

The internet retailer is in Denver. He runs free shipping and discount specials so it's worth getting on the mailing list. The 16 oz tubs of More Than Gourmet stuff are pretty expensive so I tend to buy them when they're discounted with free shipping. Unopened, they have a really long shelf life. Once they're open, they claim 3 months in the fridge but I've gone much longer than that.

I use the fish one and the lobster one when I'm making things like shrimp gumbo and boulliabasse. If Mister Moose is around, I use the fish version since he has that shellfish/lobster iodine thing where it tastes bitter.

The veal demi-glace rules for making sauces for beef and in things like beef stew and beef-based chili.

There are a few chicken versions. I like the roasted chicken demi-glace the best.

There are lamb and duck versions. I buy the little tubs of those. Indian lamb curry dishes with the lamb stock extract are really good.

They also make a mushroom one that's really good. I use that a lot.

Geoff

That sounds great! i try that version without the serano or chipotle so the kids will eat it. i make a turkey version of mine also without the any beef but keep the gator sausage,that in itself is pretty spicy. thanks!

At Penzeys, you can buy ground ancho and ground chipotle peppers. I use the storefront in Arlington, Ma, the storefront in West Hartford, CT, and their internet site. I think it's the best place to buy spices and you can buy plastic bags bulk at a huge savings over what you'd pay in a grocery store. I have a big stock of their whole smoked ancho and chipotle peppers. When I finally use them up, I'll switch over to the ground version to save time. The New Mexican peppers come from the grocery store. Making your own chili powder is way better than the store bought stuff.

My non-grocery store cooking stuff is Penzeys, More Than Gourmet, Sid Wainers outlet in New Bedford, and the asian grocery store in Boston, Chinatown. I hit an Indian grocery store in Nashua once in a while, too.

ctenidae

My older brother thinks it's blasphemy to have sausage in chili, while my younger brother considers it mandatory. I say, if it tastes good, eat it. mine almost never tastes good, so I don't make it.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I prefer to keep it simple (none of this "demi-this", "reduction-that" sillyness):

1lb Venison Sausage
1lb Hamburger
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper
Cumin
12 oz bottle of Hot Banana Peppers (Chopped)
1 Large Onion
1 Green Pepper
Hot and Spicy V8 juice (option: use regular to keep down hotness)
Diced stewed tomatoes (I use homemade tomato puree when available)
Dark Red Kidney beans
Pinto Beans
Light Red Kidney Beans
Option: Add Hot Sauce to desired tongue burning