• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you let Weather dictate????

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
thetrailboss said:
When I hike, I go solo and weather is the biggest factor...for safety, comfort, and to get the "just desserts" of my efforts. Needless to say, this spring has been pathetic for hiking thanks to the Monsoon season.

I just hike regardless. One of the most amazing sights I have ever seen was on a slushy, wet, misty February morning. As I reached the 700 foot level on the Mount Taurus Washburn trail I rose above the temperature inversion. A long billowy, cottony bed of clouds filled the Hudson Valley with the peaks of the Highlands poking above on both sides.Crisp bright blue sky was overhead and the winter sun lit up the ice on the trees like a million chandeliers. The crime was that I did not have my camera with me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i absolutely let weather dictate my outtings. however, i am very upfront with people when planning group activities. i think when you plan activities, you have to expect people to bail for understandable reasons (weather sucks) and lame reasons (don't feel like it)... but if you are packing the night before and reviewing rain gear and preparing for wet weather, i think there is a safe assumption rain will not be an issue, and if it is, the partner should voice concern. but bottom line is you gotta expect a certain bail rate even when you have a commitment. it is a lot tougher when it is only two people and the trip might involve risky activity, but that is why i usually clarify i won't head out on tours if the weather looks nasty when planning a group outting.

Mike P.

I can't say I hike with any other friends than hiking friends. The other friemds would show for a hike or two & then the first humid, cold, rainy, snowy, etc.. or if a last minute invite came up toparty all night, I'd be left alone at the meeting spot, so now I plan solo & then, if company is okay, I'll post on a bulletin board or send an email to some friends I've meet hiking who I know are into it as much as me.

Do I let weather dictate if I hike, no way, I don't have that much free time & it's too hard to come by, besides on some good days I have to mow the lawn & my kids would rather go to the beach on a good day or the zoo, etc.

Do I let the weather decide where I hike? You bet, if it's not wise to be above tree-line, i don't go there, I go some place else.

(this is easy to decide when it's -30 & wind is at 100 MPH, it's harder to decide & find people to hike with who think the same way you do when it's marginal. Each person's margin is a little different, is zero degrees & a 40 MPH wind a bad February Day? It's a cold June day. in Winter, some would say yes, some say no, if Garfield or Liberty is your destination, you'd be fine, if the wind is in your face, it would get old doing a Presi-traverse in that weather, even though it would not be life threatening to prepared winter hikers.)

bigbog

SkiDog said:
YOUR PLANS......(snipped).....What would any of you done???
M
Chalk it up to experience SkiDog...it's..perhaps THE most important decision to make....not where to go, but with whom to do it with!
A short trip with the right partner will be tons more fun than an epic trek with a ho-hum type of partner..even if he/she goes.....IMO. Having gathered the experience with the ho-hums , you really, really appreciate the true partners with similar pleasures...