• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Want Some Friends to Hike With? The AZ Hitch-Hiker Guide!

MtnMagic

The Osceola's - Friday, August 18

The Osceola's - Friday, August 18 Join the 8 (so far!) of us and play hookey from work! Mt Osceola Trailhead Directions:

I- 93 North take EXIT 31 for Rt. 175 / Tripoli Rd. Go EAST (right!) onto Tripoli Road from the off ramp. The Mount Osceola Trailhead is 7 miles from I-93. Tripoli Road becomes a dirt road after a couple miles. Parking is left and allowed on side of road when full.

Gear-up and be raring to go for a prompt 8:30 start time from the Tripoli (pronounced Triple "eye") Road trailhead. Mount Osceola is 4340' and East Osceola 4156'. Round trip is 8.4 miles, a 2950' elevation gain, and 6 hours round trip. This is a moderate, fun hike with good views and a nice, friendly mixed group. Make new friends, meet old friends! As always, kindly let me know if you are joining us.

una_dogger

Stomp

I just moved to Vermont so my stomping grounds are the Green Mountains!

I'm looking forward to spending more time in the DAKS this fall now that I am closer; and the Whites, too.

knuckledragger

The week end of 8/25 -8/28 I will be doing the mansfeild traverse (ccc road, maple ridge, Lt, down sunset ridge will have more details as date gets closer. Will be doing with my 12 year old who is an acomplished hiker, the greater the exposure the more she likes it, the oposite of her old man. I will also be doing a peak in the Daks after thinking maybe giant? Would enjoy company.
Dave

thetrailboss

Staff member
The week end of 8/25 -8/28 I will be doing the mansfeild traverse (ccc road, maple ridge, Lt, down sunset ridge will have more details as date gets closer. Will be doing with my 12 year old who is an acomplished hiker, the greater the exposure the more she likes it, the oposite of her old man. I will also be doing a peak in the Daks after thinking maybe giant? Would enjoy company.
Dave

Great hike. I did the same route on Mansfield in August 2000. Lots of fun...great loop. Sunset Ridge is so cool.

MtnMagic

Mounts Zealand & Guyot, Saturday, Aug 19

Saturday, August 19 is a hike to Mounts Zealand and Guyot (superb views on Zeacliff and Guyot!) to bring water and trail magic to runners participating in the 31.5 mile Pemi Ultra traverse. We are starting at 7:30 at the lot at the end of Zealand Road off of Rte 302. One way is 6.9 miles in 3-3.5 hours and and hour rest to soak up the view and sun on the summit of Guyot. All are welcome to join us. Kindly post or pm me to let me know you are joining us.

MtnMagic

The Carters - Thursday, August 24

We've a nice group hike all set for Thursday, August 24. Hikers are most welcome to join us, with notice. Feel free to send a pm for questions and to reserve a spot.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Anyone interested in the Osceolas & Hancocks & Hale this weekend? Here is the plan.

On Saturday start Osceolas from Tripoli Rd at ~4:30 AM Bag peaks, maybe catch sunrise. Head back down to car (should take ~5-6 hrs). Travel up to Hancock parking lot at the hairpin on the kanc. probably start this one off at around 11:00-12:00. This is another 5-6 hour hike.

On Sunday hike Hale from the Zealand rd whenever I wake up (usually 6:30-7). this is a quick 4.4 mile hike.

There is a shred of a chance that I may do the willey-field-tom traverse too on sunday after hale (if time and energy permit).

PM me if anyone is game.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Next Weekend.

Here is my plan for next weekend (10/28,29):

Saturday Morning: Whiteface and Passaconaway in that order in a loop (blueberry, rollins, dicey trail)

Saturday Afternoon: Cabot (via bunnel)
Sunday Morning: Waumbek (via star)

If there is any interest let me know so I can toss out some more details. There will be pressure to move fast as I do have a ~20 mile agenda on Saturday. Not so much on Sunday. Saturday hike will start ~5am. Expect snow. Weather prediction is not so friendly.

Mike P.

With a sick child & bad weather planned for Saturday I've decided not to head to Nh but looking for a 10+ mile hike in South Taconics or Greylock Sunday. Was thinking maybe Jug End to Everett.
Anyone interested? Probably windy, maybe icy?

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Isolation

Hey everyone,

I am finishing up my NH48 this weekend. I would really like to have some company up Isolation since It looks like none of my friends can make it.

Here is the weekend Itenerary:

Saturday: Tripyramids North And Middle. I need to do a TP rematch cause I biked them back in August. I will be approaching VIA pine bend this time (from the kanc)

Sunday: Isolation, My 48th 4000 footer. Starting at the crack of dawn from Rte 16. I plan to bushwhack if conditions are favorable.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Mendon & Dorset

Hi Everyone, Im thinking of doing Mendon and Dorset this weekend (12/2,3). I can combine Mendon with a trip up to Killington summit. This is a NEHH peakbagging adventure. I am flexible with regards to dates and time although I tend to favor "early". If I am not doing Killington I may well just go ahead and bag Mendon and Dorset on the same day.

MtnMagic

Arethusa Falls & Frankenstein Cliff! 12/9

When:
Saturday, December 9, 2006, 9:45 AM

Where:
Arethusa Falls parking lot
Spur Road off Rte 302, 3.4 miles past (South) of the Willey House site.
Bright blue "Scenic View" sign at the start of this paved road.
Bretton Woods , NH 03575

The Hike:
An easy hike and a great social & scenic adventure to visit the tallest falls in the state, then hike to one of the easiest to climb bluffs with spectacular views of the waterfalls, the valley, and the mountains! There are a pair of Peregrine Falcons nesting, so there is a chance we may see one soaring. We also learn why these two places are named so. This round trip loop hike is only 4.7 miles, 1400' of elevation gain in a book time of 3.5 hours. We'll have plenty of rest stops. Ideal for children and those that haven't hiked in a while.

Notes:
After the hike we'll have a late lunch at the excellent Good 'n You Restaurant & Lounge, 631 Rte 3 South in Twin Mtn. Make new friends, meet old friends!

MtnMagic

When: Sunday, December 10, 2006, 9:45 AM

Where: Lafayette Campground
Route 93 in Franconia Notch State Park
Lincoln , NH 03251

The Hike: We're going get some breath taking 360 degree views of all the mountains via the Lonesome Lake, Fishin' Jimmy, and Kinsman Ridge Trails! We can fill up our water when we arrive at Lonesome Lake Hut from both the near beginning and near end which is 1.7 miles from the campground parking lot. This round trip loop hike is a moderate hike that is 10.0 miles, 3550' of elevation gain, and completed in about 7 hours.

Notes:
Welcome to the Four Thousand Foot Fitness & Fun Club! Summit all 48 4k'ers and receive your official A.M.C. scroll and a patch for your pack. Go to the message boards to ask questions and learn the answers. After the hike, our group will have dinner at the fantastic Woodstock Inn & Brewery. The Friday, December 1, '06 release of their new Wassail Ale is another reason to be there!