• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Outdoor Gear Online Auctions vs Online Stores

Zunnie4

I'm starting this thread for the discussion of different kinds of online gear sites.

My first subject is: Auctions (like ebay) vs. Online Stores

I just purchased a Garmin Geko from eXplorePacks.com. Will test it out this weekend. Would like to know if any one feels they get better deals from Auction sites or from Online Stores?

SkiDog

Personally I have found good deals in both places (ebay and online stores). I must admit that I buy most of my gear online, except for small items. Anything big ticket, you really can't beat the internet. I primarily utilize the online stores MUCH more than ebay.

I find that if Campmor carries the item you are looking for, its VERY hard to beat their prices..

good topic...

M

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
for skiing gear, i always buy new exclusively. if i needed a specific older ski no longer in production, i would go used if it came up cheaply. so i generally shop online store. though i have had tremendous luck with Buy It Now options on ebay. i don't get involved with bidding generally on ebay.

awf170

I pretty much buy all my stuff off bc.com. I bought skis off ebay once, but I would never buy use skis there. Hey Greg since you have connections tell those bastards over at bc.com to make the mega-rides 35% off again. Now! ;-) Or atleast get me a 10% off coupon that can be added on to already on sale items. Actually make it 20%. What the heck go for 30%.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have always bought new. I also am one who goes into a shop, tries the item on, sizes it up, and then waits for the price to come down or "puts it out to bid" by shopping for it online from dealers. EMS is dangerous because they have the "free instore pick up option"
686.gif
I will confess that I have been seduced by that feature on more than one occasion!!
1087.gif

awf170

awf170 said:
I pretty much buy all my stuff off bc.com. I bought skis off ebay once, but I would never buy use skis there. Hey Greg since you have connections tell those bastards over at bc.com to make the mega-rides 35% off again. Now! ;-) Or atleast get me a 10% off coupon that can be added on to already on sale items. Actually make it 20%. What the heck go for 30%.

Awesome. Greg is the man. He PM'ed me a 30% off code. I heard he had a few left that he could give away. Probably the first few to PM him will get them. You better act quickly though. Sometimes Greg doesn't notice his PM's though so you send the message a couple or maybe a couple dozen times just to make sure he gets it.

:wink: :grin: :snow:

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
Awesome. Greg is the man. He PM'ed me a 30% off code. I heard he had a few left that he could give away. Probably the first few to PM him will get them. You better act quickly though. Sometimes Greg doesn't notice his PM's though so you send the message a couple or maybe a couple dozen times just to make sure he gets it.

:wink: :grin: :snow:
Get it right Austin. That code is for a $2,500 credit at BC.com.... ;)

skibum1321

I check a lot of different online stores and Ebay. I usually will try stuff like ski pants on at stores. For things like bike jerseys I just buy them blind usually but bike shorts I will try on.

Occasionally I buy stuff at a store if something is really cheap or is a big ticket item that will need maintenance (bike, bindings so I could get free mounting).