• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I still don't understand why they did not extend seating in a semi-circular fashion.

Looks like just cost containment. Cost of the seating itself as well as it doesn't appear the roof would extend out and off to the sides. It may work out better acoustically as well as more of the stage sound can escape out the sides without the roof extending out to the sides. Granted, they could have uncovered fixed seating in those locations.
But, I think it's a good thing the roof is going to cover only small area. Most shed type concert amphitheaters have pretty crappy sound on the lawns compared to under the pavilion.

It looks like they'll have three tiers of seating/pricing. Covered seated, lower lawn off to the sides and then upper lawn above the paved concourse. What will be nice about the lower lawn sections is they'll be GA, which will be pretty unique to offer since you'll be able to get almost as close to the stage as the covered seats. It looks like a pretty cool mid-sized outdoor venue capable of holding 2-3K people. Wish I could make it up there for Dark Start Orchestra.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Didn't Stowe try a concert venue at Spruce Peak some years ago?

Yes. I saw Santana there in 1994. Phish played there a couple of years too. It was a more temporary venue, but far larger attendance than you'll likely see at Jay. The Stowe concerts had attendances for some shows of 15K people. The locals essentially got pissed at the all the garbage thrown on the side of the roads in the long traffic lines getting to and going from the shows. So, they stopped hosting large events.

Sugarbush hosted Phish at their summer stage a couple of years too, which I also attended. Those shows were even bigger; had to be 20K+ people.