• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New To Hiking

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
IIRC, the trail follows the ridgeline up for the most part so nothing right along the trail.

We just came back from Pierce....right next door and earlier in the AM/PM was good. Some rain and T-Storm Showers in late PM.

Bit hazy....but views for about 35-40 miles or so. Definitely worth it...oh yeah, and the bugs weren't bad.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
riverc0il said:
in regards to ski trails, they usually make for not the best hiking trails as you found out. though i hike ski trails often during the summer, the combination of high grass (which makes observing footing and avoiding holes difficult if not impossible) and unrelenting steepness with no rock steps make for not the best hiking. i opt for the hiking trails on ski mountains when ever possible, but i don't think the river has much for hiking trails, so there you have it!

Yeah, the only people who find ski trails interesting are the skiers who ski them in the winter... :)

ga2ski

T - gald you had fun. tell Walter to stop being a wimp. Hopefully you'll get bitten by the bug (and not by the insects) and hike more often.

I bet i can get W into some more hiking this fall if went and and "trimmed" a few new ski paths. As RC said hiking at ski area can be difficult unless you have modivation to hike them.

thaller1

ga2ski said:
T - gald you had fun. tell Walter to stop being a wimp. Hopefully you'll get bitten by the bug (and not by the insects) and hike more often.

I bet i can get W into some more hiking this fall if went and and "trimmed" a few new ski paths. As RC said hiking at ski area can be difficult unless you have modivation to hike them.

W is pretty intolerant when it comes to bugs, temperature, weather changes, being "rushed" and getting up early when it's not his idea.. but admitted he had a good time and thanked me for dragging him out.. and he'd to do it again!

I guess I'll have to consider the dragging as part of the challenge.. I think it will be easier in the Fall since it will be cooler, less bugs and especially if there's "trimming" involved..

kbroderick

T -- as you've discovered, GNSP has a lot of hiking opportunities. If you're looking for a shorter hike nearby, Mt. Will has traditionally been a good one (although I think it may have been closed due to ongoing development at this point) and Table Rock is a much easier hike than Eyebrow (IIRC). Speck is a challenge (3rd highest peak in Maine), as can be Goose Eye and the Baldpates. Puzzle Mtn is another option; I hiked that when I was visiting my parents on Memorial Day Weekend (pics here), and it's got some pretty decent views. There are a lot of permutations available if you consider all of the options in the Bethel area (which I'm surprised didn't come up more earlier in the thread, actually).

Oh, and if you're going to hike ski areas, work roads tend to be the easiest way to go (assuming that the grass isn't mowed on other trails). At Sunday River, Three Mile to the top of Barker would be the least-obstructed route, or you could head up Lollapalooza if you started at the Jordan Grand. Neither of those is particularly appealing as a hike, IMO, as they're exposed to the sun the whole way.

edit: odd formatting issues. Oh, and I'm not sure about the actual elevation of Eyebrow, but the Chamber of Commerce notes a 1000' change in elevation.

thaller1

thetrailboss said:
Thaller: I'd do Jackson or Pierce next. Good hikes. Good views.

Crawford Notch?? We're heading out again tomorrow morning with hopes of finding a place to splash around in some cold water too..

what does (IIRC) mean??

kbroderick

IIRC == If I Recall Correctly.

If you want to head back to Bethel, Goose Eye via the Wright Trail offers convenient access to several potholes in the Sunday River (the most notable being Frenchman's Hole).* It is a strenous hike, though, and you should probably get a look at the appropriate guidebooks before attacking it.* You can also hit Deep Hole on the way back from the Grafton Trailheads, if you can find directions (I'd try to give you some, but they'd probably not be good enough to follow).

(The Wright Trail trailhead is more or less at the end of Sunday River Rd., but I'd hesitate to be any more specific because things may have changed in the past couple of years and it's been a little while since I've been up Goose Eye.)