State Highpoints

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

State Highpoints

I have not checked this out lately BUT

www.americasroof.com was/is the gathering spot on the www for state highpoint information. You can find info on all 50.

To promote a friends page & some what relavant to recent threads, Rob O'Keefe, AKA machimoodus & aka, the backcountry explorer has done over 1/2 of peaks (I believe) most of the ones on the east coast, Whitney, Humphreys, Boundary & Kings Peak.

I've stopped doing them although if I get near enough to one I try. So far I've got, ME, NH, VT, NY, MA, RI (the end of the driveway under prior ownership), CT, PA, NC, TN & NJ. NJ (besides RI) is the only drive by so far. Likely the next one is DE, another drive by.

Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

NY, CT, MA, NH here.
    I ski double black diamonds.

I beleive americasroof.com is the personal blog of the president of the highpointers club (Roger Rowlett). You want highpointers.org.. and their message board is network54.com/Forum/3897/

I write a column in the quarterly highpointers club newsletter. It's called milestones, and it's maybe the most difficult thing I've ever done - trying to come up with creative ways every three months to express the fact that joe schmoe from the poconos now has 30-something highpoints. (actually, it's not that bad, but sometimes it seems that way.)

I have 22: (in order of completion) NJ, DE, RI, MI, AR, LA, FL, TN, NC, MA, PA, MD, WV, CT, KY, SC, GA, OH, IN, IL, WI, and MI. You can view writeups and photos of all of them on my web site: http://turzman.com/projects/highpoints.

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    NY, CT, MA, NH here.
    I should mention I drove up Greylock. Washington I've driven up once and hiked 3 or 4 times. I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza
    I write a column in the quarterly highpointers club newsletter. It's called milestones, and it's maybe the most difficult thing I've ever done - trying to come up with creative ways every three months to express the fact that joe schmoe from the poconos now has 30-something highpoints.
    I wonder how many I could Hang Glide to? Would that count?

Quote Originally Posted by YardSaleDad
    I wonder how many I could Hang Glide to? Would that count?
    It has never come up in real life, but there was a hypothetical debate about whether a helicopter ascent of a state highpoint would count. According to official state highpointer club rules, the means of ascent doesn't matter, as long as you come in physical contact with the actual highpoint. The county highpointers club has a different official position - helicopters would NOT count. (which to me seemed hypocritical - if you allowed people to drive up, then how is that different than flying up?)

My personal opinion, and I've made this known on the highpointer message boards, is that highpointing is an individual effort and that individual takes it any way that satisfies him/her. Hiking, driving, helicopters, and yes- hanggliding to all 50 state highpoints is a logistical nightmare any way you look at it - so if that's how you want to do it, then who the hell am I to say that your effort doesn't count?.

Another outstanding source of information on State Highpoints can be found here:

http://www.summitpost.org/list/17119...ighpoints.html

36 and counting ...

Quote Originally Posted by pizza
    It has never come up in real life, but there was a hypothetical debate about whether a helicopter ascent of a state highpoint would count. According to official state highpointer club rules, the means of ascent doesn't matter, as long as you come in physical contact with the actual highpoint. The county highpointers club has a different official position - helicopters would NOT count. (which to me seemed hypocritical - if you allowed people to drive up, then how is that different than flying up?)

My personal opinion, and I've made this known on the highpointer message boards, is that highpointing is an individual effort and that individual takes it any way that satisfies him/her. Hiking, driving, helicopters, and yes- hanggliding to all 50 state highpoints is a logistical nightmare any way you look at it - so if that's how you want to do it, then who the hell am I to say that your effort doesn't count?.
    I don't think they should be allowed to drive or take a helicopter. It should be under your own power.
    Fear should be treated like fire - it's a good thing that can keep you warm but it can also burn down the house

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    I don't think they should be allowed to drive or take a helicopter. It should be under your own power.
    What about Britton Hill, FL?
    Elbright Azimuth, DE?
    Hoosier Hill, IN?
    Mt. Sunflower, KS?

To be fair, a very small minority of highpointers give themselves requirements to hike at least 10 miles (or some other arbitrary number) to these relatively flat spots.

That said, most of these people don't presume to say what other highpointers should be "allowed" to do. In fact, most won't even put on an heir of superiority when meeting others. I have yet to hear some asshole say, "I'm better than you because I hiked up Manfield and you drove the Toll Road."

Maybe it's just the culture of the club.

Different strokes for different folks. I've never been a big follower of lists (4K'ers included), but I suppose I understand the appeal. It seems like a great motivating factor, especially for hiking 4K's, etc. With that said, if someone finds satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment in simply visiting a state highpoint, whether they hike or drive, that's their prerogative and it seems silly to suggest that's not the "right" way.

Thread Information