Recomendation for bump/tree ski, mostly eastern?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Recomendation for bump/tree ski, mostly eastern?

Haven't quite found an answer to this in past threads. Sorry if I've missed one.

I'm looking for a freeride ski with a waist in the 85-92 range.

Here's me:

Skier type: advanced
    Terrain: Bumps and trees (50/50), almost exclusively.
    Current ski: Rossi B2 174
    Height: 6"
    Weight: 160

I currently ski on a Rossi B2 and am reasonably happy with them. They are dreamy in the bumps and good in the trees. I'd like something wider, though, for better flotation in fresh snow. I'm willing to give up a small amount of bump performance, but they would still need to be good. I'll keep my B2s for spring days when I'm 100% in corn bumps.

The B2s are not great on hard groomed snow, but I try to avoid that anyway. I have some carving skis for when I'm socially obligated to ski on hardpack. A ski that was a bit better on goomers would be a bonus, but is not a priority. A ski that has been around for a few years so I could pick up a previous year's model on closeout would be ideal, but I can be flexible.

Last year I skied the Volkl Mantra in 18" of powder in Utah and loved them, but felt they'd be too stiff outside of fluffy western bumps. Thinking I should look at the Line Prophet 90, Dynastar Sultan 85, and Rossi S86, but know there's a lot more out there. I know that there are some freestyle skis that might also be a good fit, but I'm not familiar with that market.

Many, many thanks for any suggestions. Also, if the consensus is that I should just stick with my B2s, that's fine.
    Last edited by sankaty; Feb 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM.

if u liked the mantras,try the line profit 100s ,its a great ski,and works well in the conditions u spoke of,and it should cost a bit less than the mantras,,i ski these and wood recomend them too anybody!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer View Post
    if u liked the mantras,try the line profit 100s ,its a great ski,and works well in the conditions u spoke of,and it should cost a bit less than the mantras,,i ski these and wood recomend them too anybody!!!!!
    Thanks. I'll definitely try those and the P90. I should say that while I liked the Mantras, I won't typically be skiing in 18" of Utah powder. I think the Mantras would be way too stiff (and possibly wide) for my day-to-day skiing.

Go with the Icelantic Pilgrim or Nomad in a shorter length. They are an awesome ski. Great graphics. I skied used these quite often when there is 4 or more of freshies. Give them a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    Go with the Icelantic Pilgrim or Nomad in a shorter length. They are an awesome ski. Great graphics. I skied used these quite often when there is 4 or more of freshies. Give them a look.
    Thanks for the suggestion. The 2010 Pilgrim would also satisfy my soft requirement of having crustacean-themed graphics.

Based on further research, the contenders are:

Dynastar Sultan 85
    Line Prophet
    Fischer Watea 84
    K2 Aftershock
    Atomic Crimson
    Icelandic Pilgrim
    Rossi S86

The Dynastar, Line, Fischer, and Icelandic hold particular appeal because there is still a decent amount of stock available from previous years, so there are deals out there.

I doubt I'll get to demo all of these, but I'll let you know what I find. Any more suggestions or thoughts on these skis is appreciated.

I love my Watea 94's, but I'm a big guy and tend to like a stiffer ski. The only conditions that I don't like them in is big, tight bumps with deep troughs. They're really more at home making big turns on soft snow, but they also rip on groomers and I can make up em turn down the zipper line as long as the bumps aren't too tight. It's all subjective though, I bet a lot of people wouldn't like them in the bumps at all. Greg is a lot lighter than me and didn't like his at all.

Not sure how similar the 94's are to the 84's are though.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I love my Watea 94's, but I'm a big guy and tend to like a stiffer ski. The only conditions that I don't like them in is big, tight bumps with deep troughs. They're really more at home making big turns on soft snow...
    Just goes to show you the subjectiveness on gear. I don't find the Watea 94 to be a stiff ski and I got it specifically it straddles the line between having a respectable amount of beef without being a tree. And I find they prefer smaller turns to big turns due to the radius. Its always tough to generalize preferences because so much is individual depending on personal preferences, interpretations, characteristics, techniques, style, etc.

That said, sankaty's contender list is pretty sound though a lot of those skis are going to have quite different characteristics. The only way you'll ever know is to try them all. If you don't plan on demoing, just read online reviews and look for similarities between other people's preferences and your own (and especially differences on what other people like). Just beware most reviews will be glowing. After dropping $500 on a ski, no one likes to admit "damn, I made a dumb purchase!" Thus knowing your differences relative to other reviewers with glowing reviews is often just as important as similarities.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Just goes to show you the subjectiveness on gear. I don't find the Watea 94 to be a stiff ski and I got it specifically it straddles the line between having a respectable amount of beef without being a tree. And I find they prefer smaller turns to big turns due to the radius. Its always tough to generalize preferences because so much is individual depending on personal preferences, interpretations, characteristics, techniques, style, etc.

That said, sankaty's contender list is pretty sound though a lot of those skis are going to have quite different characteristics. The only way you'll ever know is to try them all. If you don't plan on demoing, just read online reviews and look for similarities between other people's preferences and your own (and especially differences on what other people like). Just beware most reviews will be glowing. After dropping $500 on a ski, no one likes to admit "damn, I made a dumb purchase!" Thus knowing your differences relative to other reviewers with glowing reviews is often just as important as similarities.
    I'll definitely demo a few of them. I guess I'm hoping that I'll fall in love with one of the contenders before having to go all the way down the list. We'll see.

Very true about how subjective gear reviews are. I think bump performance, which is key for me, is one of the most subjective, probably because of the range of techniques folks use in moguls. Edge grip on hard snow is another area where experiences seem to vary wildly, though that's not as much of a priority for me. It would be nice to have a ski that didn't drift as much under pressure as my B2s do, but that's a pretty low bar. Of course, that edge release is part of what makes them so nice and slithery in bumps, so it's a balance.

If the Sultan 85 is as good as the older Legend 8000 is in the bumps/trees, you have to seriously consider those. Might just be my next ski.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If the Sultan 85 is as good as the older Legend 8000 is in the bumps/trees, you have to seriously consider those. Might just be my next ski.
    i'm loving mine - there really isn't anything this ski doesn't do pretty well
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Thread Information