Recomendation for bump/tree ski, mostly eastern? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by sankaty View Post
    The Mantra is very stable, but I've found that it's stiffness makes it not ideal for a powder ski, if that's what your looking for. I skied the Mantra in about 16" of fresh powder, and it was fun, but it was prone to tip dive if I wasn't careful. I've not found a ski that both excels in powder and railing on hardpack. The Mantra can be great for spring snow, though, if bumps are not a priority (it can be managed in bumps, but takes a fair amount of proactive piloting).
    I will echo all of that. But a lot of skiers really like the Mantra and it has been around for a while, fairly unchanged. It has more weaknesses than strengths from my perspective. I am surprised so many people like this ski.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I will echo all of that. But a lot of skiers really like the Mantra and it has been around for a while, fairly unchanged. It has more weaknesses than strengths from my perspective. I am surprised so many people like this ski.
    Yeah. I did like the Mantra for the things it's good at (and its very good at those things), but I wonder if it could be 10mm narrower and be just as good while being more versatile. I'm not sure why I would choose the Mantra over something like the Blizzard Magnum 8.7, for example.

FWIW, the Rossi S3 basically skied the way I had hoped the Mantra would ski in powder. Lots of float and easy to turn with just a bit of tilt.

Several people in here mentioned they enjoyed the Line Prophet 90.

I'm wondering if any of you that are heavier could comment?

I go 195 lbs, and I'm referring to the following from Skinet. I sure dont base all my decisions on Ski mag/web reviews, but I do find the below concerning enough to want to ask around..... Thanks.

Testers under 170 pounds found the Prophet 90 to be damp and stable, with easy but determined turn initiation. The tails provide power and end-of-turn support, but their round, upturned shape disengages easily. It seemed not to have a radius preference. “Very easy to turn,” said one tester. PLUS: An uncomplicated, unhurried, and playful jib board. MINUS: Heavy testers noticed stability crumble at high speeds.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Mar 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Several people in here mentioned they enjoyed the Line Prophet 90.

I'm wondering if any of you that are heavier could comment?

I go 195 lbs, and I'm referring to the following from Skinet. I sure dont base all my decisions on Ski mag/web reviews, but I do find the below concerning enough to want to ask around..... Thanks.
    I've never been on the ski. I did check the realskiers review and they didn't mention anything about skier weight.

Thread Information