• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

so what the weather doing now

jaywbigred

Over the last couple hours here at the base of Mt. Snow I've been sitting here at my computer doing some job hunting, and have watched the following progression of weather: freezing rain/sleet-->puking snow-->rain-->nothing-->sleet-->puking snow-->light snow-->nothing-->rain-->nothing. Hope with nightfall it changes to all snow and then they groom up what needs to be groomed!

andyaxa

Been almost all rain in the southern Monadnocks, except for a half hour where there seemed to be a mix of sleet and grapefruit sized snowflakes...okay slight exaggeration, but they were the biggest I've ever seen.

UVSHTSTRM

Thunder and lightning here in the upper valley of NH/VT, plus rain, then changed to heavy sleet, although it looked more like hail. We do have some freezing rain that built up on the trees...hope we don't get wind. What a mix of things we have gotten today. Snow, rain, thunder, lightning, sleet, etc. Just need a rainbow tomorrow and we are good to go.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
We had thunder snow not too long ago. Already had snow and sleet. Sounds like it is raining right now but I am not gonna go outside to confirm. We've had everything except freezing rain so far tonight. I suspect damage to ski areas in the mountains will be minimal but I bet everyone gets in on a little NCP tonight with only NoVT seeing a net gain. We'll be back in business in a few days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been all snow here in Stowe. Heavy and wet, but all snow. 7 inches or so down and it stopped for a half hour. now it's nuking again.

I'm in the valley at maybe 600 feet above sea level. So far, the mountain definitely didn't see any rain.

Gonna be some manky skiing tomorrow for sure.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Got about five inches fast late in the afternoon, then sleet, freezing rain, to sleet, heavy sleet with some incredible lightning! Rain, back to light snow, yeah, tomorrow will be manky as DHS put it. We will still have a blast at Cannon tomorrow!

iSki

10" of fluffy white stuff in Lincoln this morning! Whose got first tracks at Mittersil?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I like how the mountains are calling this a powder day in all of their reports. I may stretch a bit in my personal definition of a powder day (6" minimum with a decent amount of untracked powdery snow) but I wouldn't call what the mountains got last night powder. Its new snow. All new snow is not powder. Wish I could be out there playing in it today regardless, but it is going to be tough conditions to turn at many mountains no matter how much new they got.

Cannonball

10" of fluffy white stuff in Lincoln this morning! Whose got first tracks at Mittersil?

You must be on the cold side of Lincoln! At my spot in Lincoln we got total accumulation of 5-6" of very wet and heavy. Just shoveled a path to the wood pile and found 1" of slush under the heavy snow. Clouds clearing at 8:30. Still very windy and gusty but at least it has switched around so you won't get that southerly that just blasts through the notch.

Warp Daddy

i just finished plowing and it was easily over a foot of new stuff -- the drifts were over the top of my 9 hp Ariens -- but the beast did the job easily even tho it was HEAVY .
This season it's getting a steady workout :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like how the mountains are calling this a powder day in all of their reports. I may stretch a bit in my personal definition of a powder day (6" minimum with a decent amount of untracked powdery snow) but I wouldn't call what the mountains got last night powder. Its new snow. All new snow is not powder. Wish I could be out there playing in it today regardless, but it is going to be tough conditions to turn at many mountains no matter how much new they got.

beg to differ. Stowe had 10 inches with much deeper drifts in places. It was dense, no doubt, but it friggin' ruled. It wasn't blower, but it wasn't mank either. Windblown Pow is what most of it skied like.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yeah, I deserved it. Last couple of winters I haven't caught a great day while up here. My trips to Stowe are always planned around social events due to being a former resident, so I either get the goods or don't. I won't say today was epic, but it was a 9 for sure. Will post a TR and some pics when I get home tomorrow night.

It will be interesting to see the contrast in snow conditions at Pico tomorrow. I'll be happy as long as there's good bumps on A Slope, Giant Killer and the Outpost area.