• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How much salt

ZYDECORICH

Just bored here but I just realized how much money I've spent on salt / calcium chloride / mix. I figure 8 of those 40lb Vaporizer buckets(16 bucks each) and about 8 of the standard hand jugs (various,7 bucks each) so thats about $190, for a 70 ft driveway plus the 8 step front door & approach. I think i spent about 50 last year.

drjeff

I've used close to 400lbs to date this year :eek: And now with supplies running low across many parts of the Northeast, whenever I see.a store that still has salt, I tend to pick up another 100lbs or so

ctenidae

I've used the 3/4 bag that was left over from last year, and a pail's worth of a 40lb bag I bought this year. Pea gravel driveway and a front door that no one uses for the win.

ZYDECORICH

I've used close to 400lbs to date this year :eek: And now with supplies running low across many parts of the Northeast, whenever I see.a store that still has salt, I tend to pick up another 100lbs or so

Good idea,I've been trying to buy as much s possible when I make the store rounds. I went out today after skiing creek and no one has salt of any kind. next delivery Thursday.... StormThursday..we'll see.

ERJ-145CA

I guess if you're desperate you could use water softener salt, not the pellets but the solar salt. The store brands around 5 bucks for 40 lbs.

SkiFanE

I've used the 3/4 bag that was left over from last year, and a pail's worth of a 40lb bag I bought this year. Pea gravel driveway and a front door that no one uses for the win.

Don't want to be a wet blanket - but be careful about exits/entrances. A house fire happened in my town last week, the owner died, firefighters mentioned doors not being shoveled as one difficulty of getting in fast enough (and the hydrant not being very clear). Not that it's the reason he died - but think about emergencies. I know we have to help clear the hydrant, it's closer to a neighbor than us and they are good about keeping it mostly clear, but we should also chip in since we rely on it too, just don't really think about it.

ctenidae

Don't want to be a wet blanket - but be careful about exits/entrances. A house fire happened in my town last week, the owner died, firefighters mentioned doors not being shoveled as one difficulty of getting in fast enough (and the hydrant not being very clear). Not that it's the reason he died - but think about emergencies. I know we have to help clear the hydrant, it's closer to a neighbor than us and they are good about keeping it mostly clear, but we should also chip in since we rely on it too, just don't really think about it.

Good points- 2 of 3 doors are clear. Front door porch is clear, but the front walk is covered same as the yard. Probably easier to cross the snow than an icy walk, anyway.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've gone through about 100lbs so far this season and just picked up 4 50lb bags at HD. They instituted a 8 bags per person limit. For a while there only had the solar salt for water softeners, but jacked the price up to $14.99/40 lbs.

Greg

Staff member
Probably 20 lbs. Driveway is kinda short, maybe 60 feet, although it is pitched. I'm pretty good about getting it scraped to pavement quickly. It faces southwest so sunlight usually does the rest. Plus an AWD car and a 4WD Jeep so usually no problem getting up it.

hammer

Probably 20 lbs. Driveway is kinda short, maybe 60 feet, although it is pitched. I'm pretty good about getting it scraped to pavement quickly. It faces southwest so sunlight usually does the rest. Plus an AWD car and a 4WD Jeep so usually no problem getting up it.
Sunlight makes a BIG difference...

I had problems keeping up with the snow and I had a good inch of ice buildup on my north-facing driveway. Hacked at it for a few hours yesterday and there are still a few sections that are in the shade that would not give. Fortunately, it's about this time that the sun angle really starts to increase.

Does anyone have suggestions on granite/brick safe ice melt? My steps and walkway are in worse shape...:-x

Glenn

Irony: I've put more ice melt on the roof in tube socks vs. throwing it on the driveway.

SKIQUATTRO

our town (portland, ct) used to leave massive piles of the sand/salt mix in town yards for the public to take...

bvibert

Staff member
our town (portland, ct) used to leave massive piles of the sand/salt mix in town yards for the public to take...

Torrington used to as well... either this year or last they stopped though. I was quite bummed when I went to refill our container this year...

tree_skier

I haven't used any, Planned a flat driveway when I built the house, straight into the garage, Piece of cake. Haven't even put any sand down and I can get that for free from the town. Although I am damn sick of moving snow.

bvibert

Staff member
Just resorted to using play sand intended for the kid's sand box on the driveway last night after my wife got stuck in it... It's a little on the fine side, and has no salt in it, but it's better than nothing...