• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All-Mountain.....Poles?

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
Thanks for the feedback. I expected price shock though when compared to a high-end pole from Leki or BD - offering full carbon (vs alum/carbon on many) AND the basket system, it's (at the high end but) competitive. Clearly it's not for everyone. We'd love to have the buying/production economies that BD or Leki have but as a startup that's not realistic.

The reaction we've seen when people actually see the poles has been very positive. It's simple to understand and use. And surprisingly, I've had very few people push back on price. Maybe I hang out with the right crowd?

So here's another challenge for the group - who is best within this group to test a pair of these? Unfortunately I don't have the ability to lend out 10 pairs of poles so who do you think can give these a good, fair test? We're just about ready to ship production poles so based on your feedback I'll figure out where to send a test pair.

Thanks again.

Hawkshot99

Personally I agree with the rest on it being a expensive gimick. Of the people on here to test I would think Riverc0il. He does lots of touring and resort skiing.

WJenness

Personally I agree with the rest on it being a expensive gimick. Of the people on here to test I would think Riverc0il. He does lots of touring and resort skiing.

I agree with the nomination of River if he is interested.

He'll be brutally honest, that much is for sure.

-w

Greg

Staff member
Agree, RivercOil. He always gives and in depth honest review/opinion.

Agreed. Provided he includes a POV vid in his review. :razz: ;)

dl - sorry your PMs got buried. Thanks for clearing with me before posting. You'll get good feedback from AZers if anything....

snowmonster

The three section poles have a touring grip (foam down the top of the shaft). We're using a twist-lock to lock in the length.

dl, the experience with twist-lock poles is that they tended to collapse. This is why BD's flicklocks were considered an improvement over the previous design. Is there a modification in the twist-lock to prevent collapsing/telescoping?

So here's another challenge for the group - who is best within this group to test a pair of these?

I also vote for rivercoil. He does a fair amount of bc and resort skiing and is a straight-shooter.

Last edited:

Puck it

It is going to be hard to improve on the the BD designed locking. They are easily adjusted without removing glove and stay locked.

SIKSKIER

Good luck with this Dave.Its a cool idea that I'm afraid might not have a lot of market appeal except to gadget geeks like myself.I see Dan Egan produced the video and endorsed the product.

dropKickMurphy

It is going to be hard to improve on the the BD designed locking. They are easily adjusted without removing glove and stay locked.

That's my experience, also.

Unlike my Leki trekking poles (with the twist-lock design) which have collapsed on me several times when descending a steep rocky section with 40+ pounds on my back.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
He'll be brutally honest, that much is for sure.
:D :lol:

I am one opinionated SOB!

Perhaps too much. I have already formulated a pretty strong opinion about these poles.

As others have noted, I also have had issues with twist locks not working (both ways, coming loose and getting stuck).

As much as I am honored by the chorus of nominations, I am not interested. I can't see myself being in situations in which I would want to use an adjustable basket and I don't want to be skinning and not be able to trust the locking mechanism. I've been in a steep gully with a broken twist lock mechanism before, kinda frustrating. I just love my BD Traverses too much to part with them even for a demo.

Cannonball

:D :lol:

I am one opinionated SOB!

Perhaps too much. I have already formulated a pretty strong opinion about these poles.

As others have noted, I also have had issues with twist locks not working (both ways, coming loose and getting stuck).

As much as I am honored by the chorus of nominations, I am not interested. I can't see myself being in situations in which I would want to use an adjustable basket and I don't want to be skinning and not be able to trust the locking mechanism. I've been in a steep gully with a broken twist lock mechanism before, kinda frustrating. I just love my BD Traverses too much to part with them even for a demo.

I get all of RC's concerns, and I agree that I wouldn't trust this new concept on a critical tour without testing.

But cripes....I'd be happy to test them. I tour rolling small vert NH BC almost every day (probably their biggest challenge). And it's been deep enough lately to put them to a real test. I roam close enough to civilization that if they completely failed I'd get out OK. I also ski on-piste 5 times/week with significant sidecountry to test the off/on issue.

I tour with old Leki twist-locks and my primary touring partner skis with BD FlickLocks. So I can envision a three way head to head comparison.

I am also an opinionated SOB and have formulated (and expressed) strong opinions about this concept. But I am also extremely fair and willing to objectively evaluate the pros and cons of just about anything (heck that's what I do for a living as a scientist). I have no reason to bash undeservedly. If RC seriously declines the nomination and you want to get them out there, PM me.

Last edited: