• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Do You Wear Hiking?

What do YOU wear hiking?

• Full Grain Leather Boots (High Top)

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Nubuck or Split Grain Leather Boots (High Top)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Low Cut FGL Boots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low Cut Nubuck Boots

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Fabric/Suede High Cut

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Fabric/Suede Low Cut

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Sandals

• I dunno.

• Barefoot.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don't hike.

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
So what do you wear hiking? 99% of my hikes feature:

otdrApparelFootwearAsolo_520GTX_Hiking_Boot-resized200.jpg

My Asolo 520's. Love them. Great support and prevent ankle rolls/etc. I once in a while do wear my:

210193999_slate_200.jpg

My Garmont Eclipse Boots for shorter treks.

So what do you wear? Any recommendations for newcomers?

Greg

Staff member
I've been using EMS backpacking boots for almost 20 years. My current pair are the Summit GTX:

210187080_brown_400.jpg

SkiDog

trail runners (goretex) for most hikes, and "LIGHT HIKERS" (also goretex) if I know its going to be wetter than normal. Usually dont carry much more than a 20lb pack so the trail runners are fine...light and COMFY...

M

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
I've been using EMS backpacking boots for almost 20 years. My current pair are the Summit GTX:

210187080_brown_400.jpg

You're in good company, gentlemen. My fiancee wears the same. Only ones that fit her.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
You're in good company, gentlemen. My fiancee wears the same. Only ones that fit her.
Nice boot. I did prefer the old school sewed-on Vibram sole like these -
00000000552.jpg
-that some of the older EMS backpacking boots had though (the Franconia Ridge model was the last version offered). They used to have a more classic aggressive tread and harder rubber. I used to get 5-7 years out of those.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
Nice boot. I did prefer the old school sewed-on Vibram sole like these -
00000000552.jpg
-that some of the older EMS backpacking boots had though (the Franconia Ridge model was the last version offered). They used to have a more classic aggressive tread and harder rubber. I used to get 5-7 years out of those.

Her model was the last to have that tread. Is it more aggressive than the new one?

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Her model was the last to have that tread. Is it more aggressive than the new one?
I've found the old classic Vibram treads to be deeper and more aggressive. They also lasted forever. The leather would wear out before the soles did!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i love the low cut. i have a pair of merrills that are really starting to wear out. will probably invest in another pair either next year or the year after.

thaller1

I have a pair of LL Bean high top hiking boots..they are very old, but hardly worn..I got a blister on the back of one of my heels last hike.... any way to prevent this?

Greg

Staff member
thaller1 said:
but hardly worn..I got a blister on the back of one of my heels last hike.... any way to prevent this?
You more than likely answered your own question. You need to break them in. I usually wear a new pair of hiking boots as street shoes for a few days before hiking with them.

thaller1

Greg said:
You more than likely answered your own question. You need to break them in. I usually wear a new pair of hiking boots as street shoes for a few days before hiking with them.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh you are probably right! I didn't think about that because I've had them so long! Thanks! I'll put some tape on the back of my heel to prevent further blistering!

cbcbd

Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR. New this season. Used them on a long muddy hike in the ADKs this year and they were great (with some gaiters):

210210097_autobahn_200.jpg

cbcbd

It's mostly personal preference.

I started out with high tops and moved to lighter trail runners. As much as I can, especially in preparation for a tough hike, I do balancing and ankle strengthening exercises. That helps stop my ankles from rolling, but they are still more exposed to hitting rocks or roots with low tops. So far I haven't had a problem with that and it will take a lot for me to switch back to heavy boots for the summer.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
For the sunday hiker, boots are probably the better option. They provide ankle support. protect you from snakes, bugs and sundry critters. Mud, snow, and rain are non issues.

For the obsessed day hiker, trail runners rule. Daily miles will build your balance, core strength, and leg muscles so that it compensates for the lack of ankle support. After a few weeks on the trail, you know where all the critters hang out.

For the serious backpacker you are back to boots.

Greg

Staff member
YardSaleDad said:
For the sunday hiker, boots are probably the better option. They provide ankle support. protect you from snakes, bugs and sundry critters. Mud, snow, and rain are non issues.

For the obsessed day hiker, trail runners rule. Daily miles will build your balance, core strength, and leg muscles so that it compensates for the lack of ankle support. After a few weeks on the trail, you know where all the critters hang out.

For the serious backpacker you are back to boots.
This is probably an accurate observation. My hiking roots are backpacking/basecamping so I wear boots for all hiking. I enjoy the protection from jagged rock above treeline a boot provides in addition to the additional support. I could not imagine hiking a rugged trail like Caps Ridge in a low-cut trail runner. Ouch!