• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Do You Wear Hiking?

What do YOU wear hiking?

• Full Grain Leather Boots (High Top)

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Nubuck or Split Grain Leather Boots (High Top)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Low Cut FGL Boots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low Cut Nubuck Boots

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Fabric/Suede High Cut

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Fabric/Suede Low Cut

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Sandals

• I dunno.

• Barefoot.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don't hike.

• Total voters

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Greg said:
This is probably an accurate observation. My hiking roots are backpacking/basecamping so I wear boots for all hiking. I enjoy the protection from jagged rock above treeline a boot provides in addition to the additional support. I could not imagine hiking a rugged trail like Caps Ridge in a low-cut trail runner. Ouch!
you might be surprised how well a low cut trail runner holds out. i have worn my low cuts on numerous presidential hikes (haven't gotten to caps ridge yet, but it is in the works). but it is all personal preference.

bigbog

Make that ~95% is with a upper Nubuck & GoreTexed: Montrail Torre GTX is a good fit and provides protection (mostly from the fist-sized, cut rocks at the side of woodland roads) and support(they seemed to have caught their production problem early on...back in 03/04?), ..I'm mostly doing 3mi or less..they've been very comfortable at this length trip, as well as up the steeps of small mtns...off-trail. I do buy into YardSaleDad's thinking on support as well...and I'm still searching for that trail-runner.
Keen's sandals with hard rubberized toepiece are great for the short hike ending up in a paddle...in northern Maine summer temps where there are very few ticks and no poisonous snakes.

Last edited:

cbcbd

YardSaleDad said:
For the serious backpacker you are back to boots.
Then again it's all relative. I've seen plenty of "serious" AT thru-hikers wearing lots of things from going barefoot, to Tevas, to Keens, to Trail Runners, to Boots...

SkiDog

cbcbd said:
Then again it's all relative. I've seen plenty of "serious" AT thru-hikers wearing lots of things from going barefoot, to Tevas, to Keens, to Trail Runners, to Boots...

Ive met NUMEROUS AT Thru Hikers that started in boots only to go to trail runners or plain sneakers after the "first few" miles...last year I saw a guy wearing "walmart" velcro sneakers...couldnt have cost him more than literally $10 a pair...all I can tell you is he breezed right past me...oh this was in VT..so not "easy" hiking..

M

MtnMagic

Salomon Protrek 6 (Suede high tops) for me. It seemed like a long break-in period, now comfortable for 12 hour hiking days.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
SkiDog said:
Ive met NUMEROUS AT Thru Hikers that started in boots only to go to trail runners or plain sneakers after the "first few" miles...

I would be starting out with my trail runners, but the boots would be in my pack, unless it was already snowing or very muddy.

MtnMagic

And ... in the summer I wear shorts and a t-shirt. Strangely, I have come across several completey nude hikers. Their motto: hike naked!

Mike P.

Assuming this was meant more for summer I posted with my typical summer boot choice.

In winter, in the White's & ADK's I wear plastics

in late fall there & winter in Catskills & Southern New England Insulated Leather Mountaineering boots

Shorter hikes, like Monadnock, Waumbek, Martha, Sugarloaf (NH) I'd wear Sneakers

The people most likely to wear sneakers are the ones that should not be wearing them usually & also the high mileage types who can get away with it.

Mike P.

YSD,

If you had to call them sneakers or boots, which would you call them? (not being inflammatory, see below)

Actually I'm more curious for myself as ankles are in good shape (33.5 miles last week walking & jogging, almost 28 of it jogging) & I may look at buying a pair.

I've been up Waumbek & Monadnock last year in Sneakers (cross trainers) & Middle Sugarloaf this year in running sneakers. I've got some short hikes planned in next few weeks while will likely be more sneaker trips with a couple in boots mixed in.

Is difference in shank & sole or is padding & ankle support (as it exists in a low top shoe) better?