• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ADK High Peaks 7/1/06 - 7/3/06

Spookykinkajou

Date(s) Hiked: 7/1 to 7/3/06

Trails(s) Hiked: Dix Mtn from St Huberts, around Elk Lake to Pinnacle Mtn to Colvin Mtn back to St Huberts.

Total Distance: ~28 miles

Difficulty: Very Difficult!

Conditions: Muddy, wet trails for 50% or more. Numerous fallen trees especially at higher elevations. Up Dix required some rerouting due to fallen trees

Special Required Equipment: Bear canister.

Trip Report:

My wife and I went for our first backpacking experience this past weekend in the High peaks of the Adirondacks. For a little background, both of us have years of day hiking, and I'm an endurance mountain bike racer while my wife just occasionally runs. I love to suffer, and still am trying to find my limit. My wife learned to suffer this past weekend and succeeded admirably.:-D

First off, this was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I can only think of a few instances where I've ever been so challenged continuously. Each day we hiked at least 8 hours and one day about 9.5. On the first day we took only two short breaks to eat due to time ticking.

Second, the bugs were a constant nuisance mostly for my wife since bugs don't seem to like me. I got bit some, but nothing like she did. She looks like she has chicken pox! She got bit by a deer or black fly two times, one on either bicep, and had some nasty swelling with fever. Anyone have a solution for reducing the swelling/pain? We did not have DEET, something I wanted to buy, but she wanted a citronella organic lotion. Needless to say, it failed. perhaps it even attracted them. I didn't use it.

Third, I love trekking poles:grin:

Weather was comfortable. 70s for highs 50s for low. A strong thunderstorm came through the first night, but we never got wet. Cloudly the first half of the second day and then nice and sunny for the remainder of the trip.

The first day was climbing nearly the entire time(over 4000') up Mt Dix over 6.5mi? and near the top there were many fallen trees making navigation a bit tricky. It was very windy and hazy atop the mountain around 5pm so we just ate behind a large rock and down we went. The descent was long and steep, around three miles, to our designated camping area approaching Elk Lake and we didn't arrive until around 8:15pm. For the last hour my wife was in a state of bonk, mumbling to herself while repeatedly stating we were lost, not going the right way, never would get there, etc etc. It was extremely slow going, but she was trying her best and for that I applaud her.

The second day was mostly flat for the first half with some gradual climbing in the second half. We headed out after 12 hours of sleep around 9.30am and walked around Elk lake while not actually seeing it. This day was mostly a struggle with the backpacks. Neither of us were very comfortable and I had a slight rash on the back of my shoulders and collarbone due to friction from the straps. Our hips were also a bit sore. We took a lot more breaks this day, usually about once every hour for 5 minutes, and arrived at our next camp site just shy of pinnacle mountain around 5pm. Neither of us particularly enjoyed this day. The trail was very wet and muddy for the majority and generally it was like walking in a creek while being target practice for bugs. The second half was nicer and made up for the dreary start, but still nothing spectacular. I wouldn't recommend this section, but there is no alternative with the route we took besides going back the way we came. I think we were asleep by 8pm this night next to a gorgeous waterfall that lulled us to bed and didn't wake up until 7.30am.

The third day was the hardest both physically and technically, but also the most beautiful. By now, the pack was comfortable for me and I felt the strongest of all three days, but the bugs were still driving my wife crazy and she was convinced she would not make it. A lovely clear sky with lots and lots of mountain views in all directions kept our spirits a bit higher, but we knew we were in for a long haul back to the car and were slightly pressed by time because we had to return that darned bear cannister before the store closed! Lots and lots of climbing, more than the first day I suspect, and the trail was much more difficult overall. It was very steep, and a few instances my wife had to take off her pack while I carried it up for her so she could be more stable when dragging herself up the rock faces, roots, etc. We had an excellent lunch with 360 degree views atop Colvin and then happily set off for the final 3 mile descent + 3 mile walk down the gravel road to our car.

We suffered a lot on this trip. My wife said it was the worst trip ever while hiking on the 3rd day, but is now happily reliving the experience. Besides the 2nd day, I really enjoyed the trip. I got to suffer a lot and was thoroughly relaxed being in nature for an extended period of time with only a few human sightings. I'm already thinking up some continuous 24 hour type excursions I can do solo with a lighter pack!

I'll upload some pics tonight when I get home! We didn't take many since we were *constantly* hiking plus stopping just wasn't comfortable with the bugs.

I'm sold, I'll be backpacking again hopefully this weekend albeit solo this time since my wife has to work.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bug bites: go to a doctor to have those checked out.

Backpack: shouldn't be hurting in the hips. I'd adjust the straps and maybe make sure that the bag was properly loaded.

Otherwise, glad your first outing, with its ups and downs, made you want to do more. It was a very bad weekend for bugs in the Whites as well....

Spookykinkajou

thetrailboss said:
Bug bites: go to a doctor to have those checked out.

Backpack: shouldn't be hurting in the hips. I'd adjust the straps and maybe make sure that the bag was properly loaded.

Otherwise, glad your first outing, with its ups and downs, made you want to do more. It was a very bad weekend for bugs in the Whites as well....

On the backpack, you are right. I played with adjusting and eventually found the comfort zone. But the damage was done and my hips are a bit bruised/sore still. I don't really know how to properly load the bag so was just guessing. I have a Gregory baltoro and had the sleeping bag and pad in the bottom section, the tent fly and main above them, and the bear canister with most of our food stashed above the tent. then my clothes stashed around and above that. a 3L bladder in the bladder sleeve in the middle of the back.

RE: the bugs. I meant for on the trail relief. She's fine now. It was just painful and itchy for about 36 hours total time.