• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boots Spur: 7-6-06

awf170

Boott Spur: 7-6-06

PNVC>Glen Boulder>Boott Spur>PNVC

7.5 miles, 3,500 ft. climb

Awesome loop. Go do it. No one does it because there is no real summit, but is one of the best loops I have ever done.

Here are some pictures:

My dad at Glen Boulder:
P1010525.JPG

GoS marked out:
P1010534a.JPG

Boots Spur and GoS:
P1010535.JPG

Avalance path:
P1010542.JPG

Mt. Washington:
P1010547.JPG

Looking down Catherdal(skiers right of dodges, absolutely sick, only skiable everyone few years):
P1010550.JPG

Mt. Washington, again:
P1010552.JPG

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Great pics! Is that snow still up in Hillman's too?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nice trip. i did TRT to glen boulder a few years back and it was awesome! mount washington is one of my favorite mountains to hike despite having one of my least favorite summits. you just avoid the summit and life is grand. while i have tagged boott spur, i have never hiked the boott spur trail and look forward to doing that eventually. the pic of the summit cone from boott spur is from one of the coolest "peaks" around. when i saw that view, it changed my perspective on hiking completely... that the true summit is the least important aspect of hiking.

very doubtful that there has been any snow on hillmans for weeks. the snow left in the ravine is only there because of how much snow piles up in the ravine and compression down to a glaciated state. hillman's doesn't get quite the same snow build up and compression.

awf170

riverc0il said:
nice trip. i did TRT to glen boulder a few years back and it was awesome! mount washington is one of my favorite mountains to hike despite having one of my least favorite summits. you just avoid the summit and life is grand. while i have tagged boott spur, i have never hiked the boott spur trail and look forward to doing that eventually. the pic of the summit cone from boott spur is from one of the coolest "peaks" around. when i saw that view, it changed my perspective on hiking completely... that the true summit is the least important aspect of hiking.

Yeah, I agree. I hate the top of Mt. Washington. I went there once and that is all I need. My last few days up I have just cut across below the summit or did anything part of the mountain. The only time I have ever disire of doing the summit again is in the winter when the road and Cog aren't running.
That pearch I was sitting on was truley awesome. Probably one of the coolest lunch spots I have ever had. Such amazing view and it felt like if you threw something off the edge you would hit hojos. Such exposure.

riverc0il said:
very doubtful that there has been any snow on hillmans for weeks. the snow left in the ravine is only there because of how much snow piles up in the ravine and compression down to a glaciated state. hillman's doesn't get quite the same snow build up and compression.

Because of compression? Wierd, I never new that was why. I wonder if the GG still has snow? I would be willing to bet that King Ravine does.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
awf170 said:
Because of compression? Wierd, I never new that was why. I wonder if the GG still has snow? I would be willing to bet that King Ravine does.
well, i am no scientist at snow formation, so don't take my thoughts on it for fact. but it is pretty rare to have that type of glaciated snow in new england and it seems to be pretty unique to certain parts of the presis. i haven't seen it any where else at least, so that seemed to be the major difference. i guess that was a bit of conjecture on my part, i don't know the science behind it.

Greg

Staff member
Above treeline in early Juy is awesome. So green. It usually starts browning out by August...

It saddens me to realize this was six years ago:

gregtucks.jpg

Time to get back to the area...