• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help! Black Diamond Flick Lock Poles Bent!!

jimmywilson69

My BD Flicklock traverse poles were dangling from my wrist yesterday (too lazy to take them off) and I forgot the lift I was on had a mid station. Both lower sections (the silver retractable section) are bent. Foruntately the upper section and the flicklock's are not damaged.
A) Are the lower sections a replaceable item.
B) Is this something Backcountry.com has or can you suggest a retailer that sells replacements.

This happened on top of getting a speeding ticket on the way to the mountain. Not a very cheap trip to the hill yesterday...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My BD Flicklock traverse poles were dangling from my wrist yesterday (too lazy to take them off) and I forgot the lift I was on had a mid station. Both lower sections (the silver retractable section) are bent. Foruntately the upper section and the flicklock's are not damaged.
A) Are the lower sections a replaceable item.
B) Is this something Backcountry.com has or can you suggest a retailer that sells replacements.

This happened on top of getting a speeding ticket on the way to the mountain. Not a very cheap trip to the hill yesterday...

I'd call BD on Tuesday and see what they can suggest. Call will cost less than new poles. Sometimes a good ski shop near the mountain has fixed stuff like this before. If you know any good machine shop guys...

jimmywilson69

I thought about heating and bending, but I don't know how strong the alluminum is.
I'm hoping this is something that can be replaced. It should be considering they are two separate pieces.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I stock piled a bunch of lower shafts just in case they discontinue them (they have gone to a newer style of traverse pole and I think the diameter is different... not sure but better safe than sorry). I bend at least one shaft a year in the trees. Very inexpensive to replace the lower shaft. Buy in bulk to save shipping and save time for the next time you bend one.

And don't use pole straps when riding a lift (heck, I never use them ever except in +40* terrain).

jimmywilson69

Thanks rivercoil. Yeah I ususally take them off on the lift, but was lazy. I don't usually ski at this place and had only rode this lift once earlier in the day. I was talk with my son about something and then I heard the noise... Followed by a few choice words.

And yes Black Phantom I figured I'd see what this forum could produce first. It was easier to type a short paragraph asking for help than to mess with BD's website. Afterall, I am supposed to be working not surfing.

jimmywilson69

roccojerry you are right the AZ crew is helpful, which is why I came here first. It's a knowledge base, not just a message board.

jimmywilson69

Thanks to Skidmarks and Suburban Sports in Berlin, CT for helping me order a pair of replacement lower sections of the poles!

I'm still going to try and bend the other ones so that I atleast have some spares. If that's unsuccessfull, I'll likely order another pair of the lower sections just to have!