• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

No Friends On Powder Days

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
A powder day on the Easy Coast is a rarity. So what happens when East Coast hacks (myself included) head out West to shred some gnar gnar?? Well first and foremost it's everyone for themselves.

Long time ski buddy of mine explores the concept of No Friends On Powder days on my blog - http://wp.me/p16MXp-4Q

dmc

I guess it depends on where you are...

Out west it's good to be with a buddy on pow days.. even better with 3 in a group..
Avalanche transceivers only work if there's 2 people.. :)

But if I'm standing at the top of an untouched chute - damn straight I'm jumping in first... :)

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Haha... well, basically the point is like - "listen man, don't screw up my powder day otherwise im defriending you"... I was in Bridger in January - 13" of the white stuff fell over night. I was with 3 of my buddies all day and it was great. But if one of them were to cry about their hangover I would have left them at the house-

makimono

That was nicely written, fun read. :beer:

For me I disagree...similar situation 1992 back side of Big Mountain, MT epic dump and my buddy lost a ski. We dug for an hour and never found it, he skied down on one (didn't even think to get a loaner from SP) and I set him up with my spare pair from the car and we got back after it. :cool: So moral of my story is always have spare skis, spare poles and spare boots in the car, especially on powder days! (and make sure you carry a spare car key too) :wink:

Black Phantom

That was nicely written, fun read. :beer:

For me I disagree...similar situation 1992 back side of Big Mountain, MT epic dump and my buddy lost a ski. We dug for an hour and never found it, he skied down on one (didn't even think to get a loaner from SP) and I set him up with my spare pair from the car and we got back after it. :cool: So moral of my story is always have spare skis, spare poles and spare boots in the car, especially on powder days! (and make sure you carry a spare car key too) :wink:

You don't want to leave home without these on a true powder day.

powder-tracer-strap-8154-p.jpg

Black Phantom

You can wear pink straps or just get a snowboard... We never lose our boards in deep snow..

Don't worry, they come in green as well. What's the matter, you don't like pink? Not everyone snowboards or has any desire to do so. This was in reference to a lost 'ski'.

And I believe a safety strap/retention device is required is required of all snow sliders.

PowderLeashSM.jpg

makimono

I sometimes do wear a snowboard leash when it gets deep...never really understood the leash requirement on a snowboard with non-release bindings, if both bindings have failed isn't there a pretty high chance the leash fails too? Is it just a relic of the anti-boarder eighties? Like when we used to have to take a test in front of the ski patrol before they'd let us ride the lifts.

Black Phantom

I sometimes do wear a snowboard leash when it gets deep...never really understood the leash requirement on a snowboard with non-release bindings, if both bindings have failed isn't there a pretty high chance the leash fails too? Is it just a relic of the anti-boarder eighties? Like when we used to have to take a test in front of the ski patrol before they'd let us ride the lifts.

I saw a snowboard flying down the hill last week. I doubt I would be concerned about the type of bindings the individual was using if the board was to slam into me at speed. Same thing goes for ski brakes and runaway skis.

dmc

The Platekill Ski Patrol guys require straps... Makes no sense to me either...
It's the only place I've been that requires it..

It's just a relic of the past..
I also use a strap when I'm climbing and riding... First thing i do when I put my board on a steep place is attatch the strap...

dmc

I saw a snowboard flying down the hill last week. I doubt I would be concerned about the type of bindings the individual was using if the board was to slam into me at speed. Same thing goes for ski brakes and runaway skis.

I've seen skis fly down hill even with brakes... Why don't skiers wear straps?

If someone takes off their board it really doesn't matter weather you use a strap or the binding straps...

2knees

Why don't skiers wear straps?

you used to ski. you're telling me you never got clocked by a windmilling ski still attached to you by the damn strap? pretty painful.

dmc

you used to ski. you're telling me you never got clocked by a windmilling ski still attached to you by the damn strap? pretty painful.

I have... it sucks..

Even when I skied I never used pow straps.. I just cranked up my bindings...