• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Ski jacket & Pants?… (For the price)

vinnyv11

Well I went through everyones comments and went to the ski shop last night. After scouring through the store I ended up with the jacket/pant below. What does everyone think? Did I get a good quality setup or did I go to cheap? Note that I was ready to buy the more expensive ski pants and jacket but couldn't get anything in my size in the store.

Marmot Tamarack Jacket - Men's

MarmotMTamarackJktFireBelugaM.jpg

Lightweight, two-layer protection keeps you comfy and warm in rough conditions. Zippin™ compatibility allows you to easily zip in another layer when the weather catches you by surprise.

Weight:
+ 2lb 2oz (958g)

Materials:
+ MemBrain®10 2L 100% Nylon 4.7 oz/yd
+ MemBrain® 2L 100% Nylon 4.0 oz/yd
+ 100% Polyester Embossed WR 1.3 oz/yd

Features:
+ Marmot MemBrain® Waterproof/Breathable Fabric
+ 100% seam taped 2-layer construction
+ Zip-off Storm Hood with Laminated Brim
+ PitZips™
+ Water Resistant Sleeve Pocket
+ Reinforced Elbow
+ Laser-Drilled Water Resistant Chest Pocket
+ Internal Mesh Storage Pocket
+ Gripper Elastic Powder Skirt
+ Elastic Draw Cord Hem
+ Zippin™ Compatible
+ Zippered Handwarmer Pockets
+ DriClime® Lined Collar and Chin Guard
+ Angel-Wing Movement™
+ Updated Design
+ 30" Center Back Length for Size Medium

Spyder Dare Pants - Men's

SpyderMDarePantBlackWhiteM.jpg

You're always up for a challenge and the Dare Pant was designed to support you on your journey. Weatherproof materials and an easy, comfortable fit have built this into one of Spyder's best-selling pants. Lower leg zippers give you easy boot access.

Details:

Removable High Back Suspenders with Mesh Insert
Waterproof Side Leg Ventilation Zippers
Welded Waterproof Zipper Cargo Pocket
Back Pocket
Lower Leg Zippers
Critical Seams Taped
Adjustable Waist

Ventilation Zippers
Multiple Pockets
Articulated Knee Construction
Belt Loops
Inner Snow Cuffs with Logo Jacquard Gripper Elastic
Cuff Anchors
Scuff Guards
Custom Spyder Logos, Hardware and Zipper Pulls

Fabrics:

Body - 360 Stretch Nylon Dobby with XT.L 20k/20k Laminate and Spylon DWR
Scuff Guards - Abrasion Resistant
Lining - Micro Polyester Taffeta Lining
Insulations:

Thinsulate Insulation - 40 gram

Retail Price: Jacket $224.95 Pants $249.99 = $474.94
Sale Price: Jacket $179.96 Pants $199.96 = $379.92
Buy One Get One: Jacket $ 1.00 Pants $249.99 = $250.99

kickstand

I just bought the same jacket, but in blue, and so far it's solid. The only complaint I have is with the hood. It stick up a bit high in the back, but if I take it off, the collar is too loose for me. I find if I fold down the rigid rain lip part of the hood, it's fine. Everything else about it rocks. I had a very heavy coat before this, and so far I love having the lighter shell and layering. I think you'll find it's warmer than you'd expect.

BTW, Buckman's is a great shop. I popped into the Doylestown store back over Thanksgiving weekend. They didn't have the model pants I was looking for, but they called around for me, see what they could do. And the guys working in the skis/boots section were awesome with my nearly 4-yr-old son, trying to get him excited about skiing for the first time.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I have a Killy Jacket, price approx $650
Spider Pants, price approx $150
Gloves, have a number of different ones, all Gortex.

Did I pay those prices, no. As someone above mentions, buy at the end of the season and pay no more than half the price. Still a bit expensive, but well worth it. What's the diff, Better quality in material; warmth, breathability, waterproofing, features, etc... No question about it, after going cheaper and more expensive, there is a difference.

RISkier

i've been a marmot man for years, great product....

Wouldn't call myself a "Marmot man" but Marmot stuff seems wot work well for me. I tend to shop for softgoods more on fit, features, and price than brand. I've also generally had good luck with EMS and REI branded stuff. And I've found good deals on Sierra Trading Post.

SKIQUATTRO

i couldnt find what i was looking for in a new jacket in many of the lines i was looking at: Marmot, Columbia, TNF, Patagonia etc....finally found a Mammut jacket that fit my critera......i shop with the "function over form" philosophy...

ERJ-145CA

For my jacket I get Columbia Titanium from the Columbia outlet near my home, my current one has vents. My first two pairs of pants I got at the Sports Authority when there was a sale, one is vented one is not. My last pair I got was Nordica which I bought at Ski Barn in October 2009 when I was getting my son's seasonal leases. They were leftovers from 08/09 and were on the rack of leftovers all drastically marked down, great pants and vented too.

As for gloves from now on I will pay the extra for Gore-Tex, the gloves can be soaked but my hands will still be warm, which is not the case with non-Gore-Tex gloves.

BTW since we're on ski clothing I will add: one ski shop near Shawnee in PA had a sign the was hanging up that said to use powder detergent to clean waterproof items because there is something in liquid detergents that removes the waterproofing after a few washes. Since I've switched to powder detergent for my jacket and pants they are still waterproof after many washes. My old pair of pants that I washed in liquid detergent a few times (before I learned about using powder detergent) are not waterproof at all anymore.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Is Spyder just priced high because of the brand name or is it quality?
My experience with Spyder is that their QC has gone downhill over the years. Don't expect a Spyder product to stand up to more than a half dozen years. My last Spyder jacket started falling apart within a year and got worse every year. My pants just ripped this past weekend after about a half dozen years. I expect high priced outdoor soft goods to last longer than that. But that is just one man's experience...

For what it is worth, I have been delighted with my Marmot purchases and will likely keep using them for products that match my needs and are priced right.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hey Vinnie,
How do you like the Spyder Dare pants? They look good on paper.

I just lost a ton of weight and am swimming in my stuff.

Yeah, Yeah, I hear what everyone says about quality - I'm seeing a lot of low quality at "value" pricing from name brands. They seem to be pretty good alt least in terms of specs for insulation and breath-ability. I like the full zips and want suspenders. BTW, I'm in love with my Marker jacket most expensive jacket I've ever bought (my wife scoffs at me). Worth every penny for the quality. Jacket I should have bought 30 years ago! Hell, if I get five years out of jacket or pants, I'm doing well!

Thanks,

Bill
Well I went through everyones comments and went to the ski shop last night. After scouring through the store I ended up with the jacket/pant below. What does everyone think? Did I get a good quality setup or did I go to cheap? Note that I was ready to buy the more expensive ski pants and jacket but couldn't get anything in my size in the store.

You're always up for a challenge and the Dare Pant was designed to support you on your journey. Weatherproof materials and an easy, comfortable fit have built this into one of Spyder's best-selling pants. Lower leg zippers give you easy boot access.

Details:

Removable High Back Suspenders with Mesh Insert
Waterproof Side Leg Ventilation Zippers
Welded Waterproof Zipper Cargo Pocket
Back Pocket
Lower Leg Zippers
Critical Seams Taped
Adjustable Waist

Ventilation Zippers
Multiple Pockets
Articulated Knee Construction
Belt Loops
Inner Snow Cuffs with Logo Jacquard Gripper Elastic
Cuff Anchors
Scuff Guards
Custom Spyder Logos, Hardware and Zipper Pulls

Fabrics:

Body - 360 Stretch Nylon Dobby with XT.L 20k/20k Laminate and Spylon DWR
Scuff Guards - Abrasion Resistant
Lining - Micro Polyester Taffeta Lining
Insulations:

Thinsulate Insulation - 40 gram

Retail Price: Jacket $224.95 Pants $249.99 = $474.94
Sale Price: Jacket $179.96 Pants $199.96 = $379.92
Buy One Get One: Jacket $ 1.00 Pants $249.99 = $250.99

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Bill - congrats on the weight loss.

I'm paying attention too, I need new pants. I took a dive at Wachusett on the last day of the year last year and ripped my pants when my ski popped off. Luckily it was the pant and not my femoral artery :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bill - congrats on the weight loss.

I'm paying attention too, I need new pants. I took a dive at Wachusett on the last day of the year last year and ripped my pants when my ski popped off. Luckily it was the pant and not my femoral artery :lol:

thanks for the compliment. Another several more to go and some strength training, I should be good to go by Turkey day.

Pants:
You'll get a lot of respect from Vermont locals if you just duct tape them! :wink:

vinnyv11

Hey Vinnie,
How do you like the Spyder Dare pants? They look good on paper.

I just lost a ton of weight and am swimming in my stuff.

Hey billski I really liked the pants the several times I used them last year. They seem to fit appropriately but they move nicely when on the slopes. The venting was especially useful when I was wearing them in April and I didn't get cold when using them in the colder weather. Definitely feel like it was a good purchase. The only complaint I have is the lack of depth/useability of the pockets but I can accept that.

As for my jacket I am extermely happy with the purchase. I was worried about being cold but we'll see this winter but I feel layering is the smarter call then a heavy jacket anyway.

Congrats on the weight loss I lost about 100 pounds before last season so I know the feeling.

Can't wait for the season to start i'm excited for my second ski season and my first full ski season. Definitely hitting up Vermont this year. Just not sure where or when lol.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
100 lbs? Woah! You are going to ski like greased lightning. I dare say it will be like learning all over again. Then again, you'll probably have the best time of your life. I lost half that and am about to pull the trigger on some new pants.
Where to ski? Everywhere!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey billski I really liked the pants the several times I used them last year. They seem to fit appropriately but they move nicely when on the slopes. The venting was especially useful when I was wearing them in April and I didn't get cold when using them in the colder weather. Definitely feel like it was a good purchase. The only complaint I have is the lack of depth/useability of the pockets but I can accept that.

As for my jacket I am extermely happy with the purchase. I was worried about being cold but we'll see this winter but I feel layering is the smarter call then a heavy jacket anyway.

Congrats on the weight loss I lost about 100 pounds before last season so I know the feeling.

Can't wait for the season to start i'm excited for my second ski season and my first full ski season. Definitely hitting up Vermont this year. Just not sure where or when lol.

Welcome back! :beer:

legalskier

Stopped by an Eddie Bauer outlet store looking for a shirt, but what caught my eye was a pair of "Weather Edge" insulated pants. Waterproof, breathable, windproof, interior snow cuff, lower zippers, two pockets, good fit- a bargain at $69.

Last edited: