• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Race (NASTAR) ski recommendations

wa-loaf

So I'm currently using some Fischer Progressor 9 skis. I also have an older pair of 185 RaceTigers race stocks. I'm looking for a step up from the progressors, but the racestock stuff is too much.

Any suggestions for a ski that falls in between here?

Hawkshot99

Are your RaceTigers FIS or cheaters? I run the Atomic D2 GS skis in a 174. I love them for the race leagues that I compete in, but am going to sell them and get them again in a 179 for next year.

I have demoed alot of the cheater race skis. Atomic, Rossi, Ficher, Dynastar, Volkl, and Blizzard.
The Ficher felt the most powerful. I could not get it to slide out on any turns, and had great energy coming out of the turns. But I did not like how heavy they felt under my feet. The Atomics felt the best to me as far as moving them quickly, but still holding very well.

wa-loaf

Are your RaceTigers FIS or cheaters? I run the Atomic D2 GS skis in a 174. I love them for the race leagues that I compete in, but am going to sell them and get them again in a 179 for next year.

The RT's are older FIS >21, but I don't think they are anymore. FIS now is >27 I believe.

What do you want for your Atomics?

WJenness

Jens,

If you end up looking to move the Progs, let me know... I've got a friend who was talking about wanting something like that. (He's in Worcester even, so fairly local.)

-w

Sky

My Brother-in-Law has a pair of Elans in a 182. He was going to offer them to me as an upgrade...till he realized I'm on the Fischer RC4 in a 180....so it was no upgrade.

If you want, I can look into it. Year of Mfg, sidecut, etc. They are probably a Night League ski vs All Mt.

NYDrew

Taken a lot of skis through crashstar, the best performance I've ever had (and they beat out a lot of race stock) were atomic SX-11. This is going back to 2004 though.

gmcunni

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
If you live near Ski Sundown, join us Thursday evening, the 19th for demo night. $35 gets you a lift ticket and unlimited NASTAR runs from 6 - 9. SuburbanSkiAndBike.com will have a number of cheater skis there in 170 - 175 cm lengths. Check out the details. The demos are limited to the first 8 and we already have close to that number so submit your request ASAP.

jrmagic

Taken a lot of skis through crashstar, the best performance I've ever had (and they beat out a lot of race stock) were atomic SX-11. This is going back to 2004 though.

I agree. I have the SX-11s in a 171 and are the best race skis I ever owned. Eventhough they are technically a slalom ski, in the longer lengths they were awesome on NASTAR setups. Unfortunately I blew out a 2 inch section of the edge on a rock:-o Had em welded but it didnt take. I keep them around for early/late seasin rock and grass sliding.