• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Prescription Goggle Recommedations

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I'm thinking about getting my husband prescription goggles for his birthday. He can't wear contacts and is sick and tired of wearing both goggles and glasses. Lasik is also not an option. Any recommendations? Ideally, it should be fog-resistant (well, as fog resistant as possible), good with a helmet, and not too expensive.

Greg

Staff member
Why can't he wear contacts? I have a pretty severe astigmatism in my right eye and while my contacts aren't perfect, it's worlds better than a glasses/goggles combo....

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I know -- contacts are way better, but his prescription requires prisms in the lenses, which they can't duplicate with contacts.

Greg

Staff member
Ski Diva said:
I know -- contacts are way better, but his prescription requires prisms in the lenses, which they can't duplicate with contacts.
Gotcha. Didn't know the extent of his condition. Contacts have come a long way over the years...

Good luck!

NYDrew

Zeal Optics.

Detonator PPX with the perscription inserts. Check them out, I love them (althought I don't have the inserts, I have heard that they are amazing....did I mention they saved my life)

bigbog

Diva,
Another brand-name I've read of, and would like to check up on, is Veralux, they have the "progressive" lenses...without the sharp, distinct breaks between long distance focus and detailed...although I just tried on some Smith Turbos(built with more room inside) yesterday...Wow!, not bad!!....

$.01...

Last edited:

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Thanks! Appreciate the suggestions!

Now a dumb question: where do youi go for prescription goggles -- the ski shop or the optometrist? Or any luck getting them on line?

bigbog

ZealOptics, interesting... Before that, I'm going to have to put my glasses into those Smith Turbos, but I bet that insert system is much more comfortable. I think Diva's question can still stand....??
BTW, (one of ZealOptic's banners..mentioned Kreitler using them....), is that Kreitler standing on the rocks, white t-shirt, glasses...guess he went for a little switch-a-roo operation...eh'?

Hawkshot99

Thanks! Appreciate the suggestions!

Now a dumb question: where do youi go for prescription goggles -- the ski shop or the optometrist? Or any luck getting them on line?

Guy I work with got a Adidas model and then took the goggle to his optometrist to have the insert made. I would go to the optometrist first to see if they have a company they prefer or can get you a deal on.

The guy I mentioned like the goggles when he is skiing. However he prefers to wear his regular OTG model and his glasses. He has pretty bad eye sight and a strong prescription. So if he takes the custom goggle off his face for second, he struggles greatly to see, were as when he has his glasses still on he can see fine.