• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mount snow to install a bubble 6 pack next year!

drjeff

Just announced about 10 minutes ago! The summit local's last weekend is next weekend, then offs dismantling begins to be replaced with a new leitner-poma bubble six pack! And at the same time, new chairs with foot rests for the grand summit express too! Big news!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is the bubble really necessary?

I'd be excited about getting a new 6 pack as I'm sure that will really improve their capacity and reduce liftlines. I would just think the buble would make the lift more susceptible to wind holds.

overall great for the Mt. Snow folks. I certainly would be psyched to get a new lift knowing how the lines can be on the Summit Express.

Euler

Good news! Any updates on expanded snowmaking and increased lift capacity in Sunbrook? Without this, I worry about the increased skier density on the top of the main face area. The biggest upside I see is the ability to de-ice more quickly.

Edd

I think this is very classy!

ron-burgundy.jpg

MommaBear

Good news! Any updates on expanded snowmaking and increased lift capacity in Sunbrook? Without this, I worry about the increased skier density on the top of the main face area. The biggest upside I see is the ability to de-ice more quickly.

Was thinking along the same lines, Euler. Hopefully we hear about the new Sunbrook chair real soon as well.

I'm also interested to see how they will reconfigure the base area to accommodate all that traffic (and the new barn to house the chairs). It is ridiculous now and there is rarely a line at the local summit chair (where the new one will go).

vcunning

I think another great benefit is that (from what I've read and heard), the exit will be much higher, avoiding the skating and congestion that occurs at the summit.

Newpylong

Was thinking along the same lines, Euler. Hopefully we hear about the new Sunbrook chair real soon as well.

I'm also interested to see how they will reconfigure the base area to accommodate all that traffic (and the new barn to house the chairs). It is ridiculous now and there is rarely a line at the local summit chair (where the new one will go).

They are moving the bottom terminal of the 6 pack up the hill a bit Mommabear... extra space definitely needed.

Glenn

They're going to post some layouts of the new chair this week. Should be pretty cool.

vcunning

They're going to post some layouts of the new chair this week. Should be pretty cool.

I might need to find someone that has a trailer when I purchase one of those old chairs.

oakapple

Additional color from the press release:

Every night the chairs will be run off the line and stored in a heated storage barn, which has its advantages. First, the barn’s steady temperature helps to prevent fogging and ice build up on the bubbles. Second, should the mountain receive icing overnight, the lift line can be quickly de-iced, and the lift will be able to operate as soon as the chairs are deployed.

Along with the new six pack lift comes upgrades to the Grand Summit Express high speed quad. The upgrades include enclosing the terminal at the base of the mountain to shield guests from weather elements and replacing all 172 of the chairs with new chairs that feature safety bars and footrests.
Storing the chairs offline is huge. Last time I was there, the Grand Summit Express was closed all day due to ice. You wouldn't want to have BOTH of your summit chairs down.

Having said that, even when only the local was running, very few people wanted to use it, because it is so slow. In this era of high-speed lifts, comparatively few skiers have the appetite for 15-minute rides any more.

drjeff

I won’t be sorry to see the Summit Local go. Boy, oh boy, is that a slow ride up to the top.

The last day that the local will operate (atleast at Mount Snow - the baser terminal/drive/some of the chairs are going to another Peak Resort property in Missouri) is scheduled to be next Sunday, then beginning on Monday the chairs come off the haul rope, the haul rope will be detensioned, cut and all 14,000+ feet of it spooled up, and then the 33 towers start coming down (hopefully while the snowpack is still solid to facilitate their transport down the hill to the base via snowcat)

vcunning

The last day that the local will operate (atleast at Mount Snow - the baser terminal/drive/some of the chairs are going to another Peak Resort property in Missouri) is scheduled to be next Sunday, then beginning on Monday the chairs come off the haul rope, the haul rope will be detensioned, cut and all 14,000+ feet of it spooled up, and then the 33 towers start coming down (hopefully while the snowpack is still solid to facilitate their transport down the hill to the base via snowcat)

Anybody up for last chair?

vcunning

Also, based on some information from the local Mount Snow TV show, MS doesn't expect winds to be a big problem. This lift is relatively well sheltered by trees, they plan to keep the towers low and expect that the Summit Lodge will shield much of the wind based on the new exit point. Apparently confirmed by some other customers in Europe that have this same lift.

And one more thing, the chairs are 3X the weight of the existing chairs, thus keeping wind a little more at bay.

vcunning

I like your attitude! :beer:

My 11 year old and I got first chair this year. We camped out at 6 am on opening day. Mountain Ops radios were lit up with "there somebody waiting in line". They also knew exactly who it was. We had our lawn chairs and breakfast ready to go. We actually took the photo they shot and made it into our Christmas card.

So last chair seems like a natural.

We've already got plans for the opening of the new 6 pack, despite Mount Snow Marketing warning me there is no camping allowed!

Newpylong

Regardless of who rides it, I hope someone get's a picture of last chair... and it goes up somewhere in one of the lodges. She's been a good lift...