• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking: Convince Me

o3jeff

What scares me is having a front tire blow out while flying down a hill, I think the odds are against you from safely riding that to a safe stop

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Total road bike newb here... but aren't the big rings on a triple typically bigger than those of a compact double?
50 is common large ring on both triples and compacts. I wish I knew more about the difference when I bought my road bike. I would have gone compact double over triple for sure. You really only give up the very lowest gear or two. Unless you absolutely need a 30/27 or 30/28, there really isn't much sense in a triple on a road bike if you can get a compact. I've trained myself never to drop into the lowest gears of my triple to ensure smooth transition onto a compact on my next bike. :D

bvibert

Staff member
50 is common large ring on both triples and compacts. I wish I knew more about the difference when I bought my road bike. I would have gone compact double over triple for sure. You really only give up the very lowest gear or two. Unless you absolutely need a 30/27 or 30/28, there really isn't much sense in a triple on a road bike if you can get a compact. I've trained myself never to drop into the lowest gears of my triple to ensure smooth transition onto a compact on my next bike. :D

My wife's bike has a 52 for the large ring.

mlctvt

Most triples are 30/39/52
Standard doubles are usually 39/53 or 39/52, some older racing bikes had 42/52
Road Compacts are 34/50 the reason being 16 is the largest difference between the front chainrings that still allows accurate shifting.

I prefer my road triple to compact doubles due to the small incremental differences between shifts. If I didn't regularly climb 10% + grades for extended lengths I might consider a compact or go back to the 39/52 I used for years.
We did a climb last summer on Bike Virginia that was 10-15% for 3 miles with no flats at all. Hundreds of experienced riders walked their compact doubles up the hill, the only people I saw riding up had triples. I passed literally dozens of riders who made comments to me like "I wish I had a triple".

For you compact fans the new SRAM Apex allows up to a 32 tooth cog in the back so you'll have the full range of a triple. But there will be large differences between cogs/shifts.

mondeo

Let me know if you want Johns contact info, the bike is in Tolland.
Upon further consideration, I think I want a more dedicated FR/DH bike. I'm not a small guy, and I'd be using if for DH first, XC second, so the frame and suspension aren't what I'd really want. I just want a second chainring on a FR bike, really.
My wife's concern is not about support as much as traction around corners. She got some speed by the end of the ride on Saturday.

What scares me is having a front tire blow out while flying down a hill, I think the odds are against you from safely riding that to a safe stop
Traction is fine, they're slicks and a grippy compound. Just takes some time to learn how far you can push it. And the odds of a blowout are miniscule.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What are you carrying and how for road rides? Tube, pump, tools?
Good question! The Divas I know who ride in Colorado carry very little and rely upon making phone calls if they get stuck. I guess the likelihood of a flat is less than with a MTB. I'm not sure I would want to do the same, but I didn't invest in anything yet to be able to handle a flat either.

Also, if you wear your hydration pack, you'll get laughed at. ;)

mondeo

Good question! The Divas I know who ride in Colorado carry very little and rely upon making phone calls if they get stuck. I guess the likelihood of a flat is less than with a MTB. I'm not sure I would want to do the same, but I didn't invest in anything yet to be able to handle a flat either.

I've had, I think, 1 flat on my road bike in ~3000 miles. Maybe 2. Under saddle bag carries a tube, CO2 cartridge, tire irons, phone, ID. Longer rides, $20 and a credit card as well. Two water bottles in cages, each bottle usually lasts around an hour; the $20 is for Gatorades to refill on 40+ mile rides. Clif Bars, energy gel, whatever in jersey pockets, as well as route cue sheet. Any type of backpack just makes your back hot, the speed on a road bike has a huge cooling effect that a pack destroys. I'd rather be on the bike in 90 degree heat than doing anything else in a non A/C environment.

o3jeff

I don't have many friends that'll come get me so i'll need to carry something.

I'm pretty sure they'll be laughing at me with my mtb helmet an shoes on already, but mondeo makes a good point about the pack holding the heat in.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't have many friends that'll come get me so i'll need to carry something.

I'm pretty sure they'll be laughing at me with my mtb helmet an shoes on already, but mondeo makes a good point about the pack holding the heat in.

They can laugh at me, too, because I'm not buying a new helmet or shoes either. When I was riding my MTB on the road last year, I wore my hydration pack because it's just so convenient. I have 2 cages on the road bike so I guess I can ditch it. At 6AM, it didn't matter a whole lot heat-wise, but I probably looked like a tool. :oops:

Greg

Staff member
but I probably looked like a tool. :oops:

Who gives a crap?

BTW, did you take a rip on this yet? Looking forward to the report. BTW, where's Marc? He would normally be all over a thread like this with some helpful info.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Who gives a crap?

BTW, did you take a rip on this yet? Looking forward to the report. BTW, where's Marc? He would normally be all over a thread like this with some helpful info.

Marc has been MIA for some time now. Hmmm...

I haven't gotten out yet. It was 28 degrees this morning...brrr! Not equipped to ride when it's that cold. Soon! Once there's more light in the early AM, that will help.

o3jeff

Marc has been MIA for some time now. Hmmm...

I haven't gotten out yet. It was 28 degrees this morning...brrr! Not equipped to ride when it's that cold. Soon! Once there's more light in the early AM, that will help.

Looks like I will be taking a maiden voyage first thing Saturday morning before there is much traffic on the road for me to worry about.

mlctvt

I've had, I think, 1 flat on my road bike in ~3000 miles. Maybe 2. Under saddle bag carries a tube, CO2 cartridge, tire irons, phone, ID. Longer rides, $20 and a credit card as well. Two water bottles in cages, each bottle usually lasts around an hour; the $20 is for Gatorades to refill on 40+ mile rides. Clif Bars, energy gel, whatever in jersey pockets, as well as route cue sheet. Any type of backpack just makes your back hot, the speed on a road bike has a huge cooling effect that a pack destroys. I'd rather be on the bike in 90 degree heat than doing anything else in a non A/C environment.

Mondeo's right on. This is basically what my wife and I do too. Last year we both rode over 4000 miles and no flats but you never know when you'll get one. You've got to at least carry a spare tube, tire levers and some way to get air back in the tires. Another thing is to pump up your tires before every ride or at least every few days. When we started road riding we used to get pinch flats because of low air pressure, we had no idea that tires can lose 10-20 lbs in a day or two.

Greg's right ,who cares if you don't have the Roady race kit. I guess I'm a "Fred" too since I use a mirror and I don't weight 135lbs.

Don't fret the mountain helmet and shoes. In the large bike groups I ride with many use mountain helmets (visors) and more riders use Mountain shoes than Road shoes.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Another thing is to pump up your tires before every ride or at least every few days. When we started road riding we used to get pinch flats because of low air pressure, we had no idea that tires can lose 10-20 lbs in a day or two.
I wish someone told me about this when I used to ride around high school age. I only had a hand pump, no floor pump, and rarely put more air in the tires unless they visibly started to sag a bit (and with the hand pump, you can be sure I wasn't hitting enough PSI).

Needless to say, I blew through tubes like they were going out of style back then. :roll: I always blamed it on the roads. :lol: Since I picked it back up again, I check air before every ride. No flats in 1400 miles last year.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I, too, keep my tires up between 100-110 psi. I have an under saddle bag, that always has 2 tubes, (I don't often get flats, but when it rains it pours, and I've seen more than once a tube get pinched when replacing on the side of a road in a fly esp. with CO2), an air chuck, 1 CO2 cartridge, tire irons, bike tool and my leatherman. I also love quart sized freezer bags....they fit perfectly in the jersey pockets. I have one that contains an expired D/L for ID, a Credit Card I don't really use often, the 2nd CO2 cartridge, and an eyeglass cleaner. I have a 2nd that contains my cell phone wrapped in a few bounty paper towels. Then, on the bike one or 2 bottles depending on heat and how long I'm riding. Also, depending on how far I'm riding, I'll have a 3rd plastic bag with a cliff bar or other food.

I love road riding....I'd be out there today if it wasn't for this work thing...