• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking: Convince Me

MR. evil

Did you get it?

Not yet, Jamie still needs to figure how much he is going to sell it for. I should know soon. He is planning on getting his new bike at the end of the month, so I won't get his old one until then at the earliest.

o3jeff

I have an inside track on a very nice used bike a friend is most likely going to be selling. I took of for a spin yesterday and the fit it perfect. Should know this week what he wants for it....keeping fingers crossed!

Did that deal fall through? Saw you posted about buying some parts and a frame separately on CF

MR. evil

Did that deal fall through? Saw you posted about buying some parts and a frame separately on CF

Didn't exactly fall through. Jamie and I both under estimated what the bike was worth. When he learned the axial value he was still going to give me one hell of a deal. It was just more than I can spend at the moment.

I did however just come to an agreement to purchase a 2008 Specialized Transition Elite from the son of a friend. He is going to let me borrow it for a couple of weeks to see if I like it. If not I am going to buy all the parts (minus the frame) from another on of his bikes and then buy a frame and build it up myself

o3jeff

Didn't exactly fall through. Jamie and I both under estimated what the bike was worth. When he learned the axial value he was still going to give me one hell of a deal. It was just more than I can spend at the moment.

I did however just come to an agreement to purchase a 2008 Specialized Transition Elite from the son of a friend. He is going to let me borrow it for a couple of weeks to see if I like it. If not I am going to buy all the parts (minus the frame) from another on of his bikes and then buy a frame and build it up myself

Get anything yet?

I plan on digging the mountain bikes out this weekend to clean them out and get them ready for a ride hopefully next week!

MR. evil

Get anything yet?

I plan on digging the mountain bikes out this weekend to clean them out and get them ready for a ride hopefully next week!

I have been borrowing a bike for a week now with the intention to buy it if it fit me....... it doesn't. Its wierd becuase its a 56cm Spesh, and my friends 56cm Spesh (different model) fits me like a glove. Talked to my local Spesh dealer and certain models have dramtically different geometry. The bike I am borrowing has what they call compact geo, while Jamies Spesh (the one that fits) is standard geo. Even though they are the same size, the fit it very different. I am planning on getting out this week to test out some new bikes. I think I may go with a lower end Tiagra / Sora level bike to use for the season. If I actually like road riding them get something better.....Still not sure on that one as I like nice bikes. Not sure if a lower end bike will satisfy the bike snob in me.

As for MTBg, I want to get out this weekend. Was thinking about the Rez early tomorrow or Sunday. Let me know.

hammer

Nice, o3jeff!

I still haven't gotten out. 29 degree temps in the early morning have thwarted me twice now. Call me a fair weather biker, but I planned on using it in warmer weather than that. BRR!
Weather's been more cooperative lately...how's the new ride?

Need to get my lazy butt out now that it's warmer. Don't want to spend on a road bike at this point so it's the old hard tail with the smooth tires. Did fine for the 50 miler I went on with my son last summer.

SkiFanE

I started a thread on here last year after my first few group rides. It is interesting showing up for one of these things for the first time. Drafting can save 30% of your effort though you save less when going slower. Its a fine balance between getting close enough to the rider in front of you to get max draft vs getting dangerously close and risk causing a crash. You get better at it by doing it more. Pointing out everything in the road is very important as if you are in a paceline, you can't see what is coming up. Be sure to pass those signs down the line. It becomes second nature after a while.

I started road biking last spring, and went on my first group ride mid-summer. Thought the same thing about signaling all road objects. I can see it's value when you are tire to tire. About 2/3 through ride I got my newbie time at front of group. Wouldn't you know I startled a morning dove on the side of the road, who then flew right under my front wheel, and I must have hit it with my back and by the time it got to the lady in back of me it was dead. I was told I had great control by not freaking out and causing a crash. Didn't even have time to yell "DEAD BIRD" lol.

Living in the 'burbs I was hoping I'd like group rides, to feel comfy riding weeknights. But I wasn't so fond of it, I just like to go my own pace and not worrying about keeping up, etc.

Severine - you liking it? By the end of the summer I was loving it, became almost mental therapy, the time alone on my bike away from family was so important. And I finally figured out gearing, cadence, etc. This year I'm dreading it, still haven't gotten on my bike but for a kid friendly bike-path ride, gotta get back into the mental groove - I dread getting so winded.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Cool bump! Let's hear an update!

Living in the 'burbs I was hoping I'd like group rides, to feel comfy riding weeknights. But I wasn't so fond of it, I just like to go my own pace and not worrying about keeping up, etc.
That is funny cause I usually like group rides but my problem with them is the group not going fast enough. :lol: I feel like I need to constantly feather my breaks unless we are going up hill. Time to find a faster group I guess, lol.

mlctvt

Finding a group that rides the right speed can be difficult. I ride with 3 groups each week and only one rides a comforatble speed for me. One is too fast and one too slow. I don't mind the fast group because It helps improve my ability even though I'm totally wasted at the end of the ride. I tend to get dropped on large hills but I can usually catch them on the descents. I'm also not the only one getting dropped so I can work with the others and we usually can catch up with the group.

The too slow group is the one I like least. It seems that the riders who show up have very different abilities. The ride does stop several times and regroup but the fast riders really don't like this and it also cuts down on the distance we can ride before it gets dark. I'm trying to convince the leader to break the group into two groups, a fast and slow group, but he's resistant.

I think group rides should have average speeds listed no more than 2 mph. Like 13-14mph, 16-17 etc. The slow group that I dislike is listed as 13-17mph, just too wide in my opinion.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The too slow group is the one I like least. It seems that the riders who show up have very different abilities. The ride does stop several times and regroup but the fast riders really don't like this and it also cuts down on the distance we can ride before it gets dark. I'm trying to convince the leader to break the group into two groups, a fast and slow group, but he's resistant.
My weekly ride that is occasionally slow usually splits halfway through though regroups at key locations. I've learned to not be hesitant when the faster riders go off the front and break from the group. :roll: Only took getting dropped solo between the fast and slow group once to learn that lesson. :lol: When there are enough riders, they'll spit the entire ride shortly after the warm up. I like how the group leaders make calls on the fly depending on who shows up and what the mood of the group is (and available time). Tough to balance because it is the middle group ride so it gets both folks stepping up from the slower ride and folks from the faster ride on their slow steady ride day, so it can become quite dynamic with a large enough group.

SkiFanE

Got a nice 20m ride in early Sunday AM.

And for the 3rd time I dropped my chain downshifting (or going to a smaller front ring) while going around a corner up a hill. Figured out this is the only way I drop a chain. And because I have a granny gear ring, it lodges my chain between gear and frame and I"m SOL. Luckily I was just coming into my n'hood, (highest point in town, every ride has to end with a tough hill) and I could walk bike home. But it needs tools to fix, last time hubby had to unlink the chain to get it out, but yesterday he got it out some other way.

This may finally get me to remember to shift before the corner or after I start pedaling, I think I downshift when I'm idle and then start pedaling hard (to get up hill) and dechain.

But for my first ride of year, did well and made it up all my killer hills w/o dying. Not as winded as I thought I'd be, and no soreness (yet).

mlctvt

And for the 3rd time I dropped my chain downshifting (or going to a smaller front ring) while going around a corner up a hill. Figured out this is the only way I drop a chain. And because I have a granny gear ring, it lodges my chain between gear and frame and I"m SOL. Luckily I was just coming into my n'hood, (highest point in town, every ride has to end with a tough hill) and I could walk bike home. But it needs tools to fix, last time hubby had to unlink the chain to get it out, but yesterday he got it out some other way. .

If you continue to have trouble with chain drops after re-adjusting the front derailleur you may want to buy one of these.
http://www.rei.com/product/670913/third-eye-chain-watcher
I've got these on my tandem and my cross bike and I never dropped a chain again after installing it.

SkiFanE

If you continue to have trouble with chain drops after re-adjusting the front derailleur you may want to buy one of these.
http://www.rei.com/product/670913/third-eye-chain-watcher
I've got these on my tandem and my cross bike and I never dropped a chain again after installing it.

Technique change vs gadget?

Since I know how this happens, I'll try to fix my bad behavior. Gadgets are not my thing lol. I never have a problem other than going up hill. But if I have no luck with behavioral modification (lol) I'll try a gadget. Thank you.

mlctvt

Technique change vs gadget?

Since I know how this happens, I'll try to fix my bad behavior. Gadgets are not my thing lol. I never have a problem other than going up hill. But if I have no luck with behavioral modification (lol) I'll try a gadget. Thank you.

On some bikes you will drop chains occasionally no mater how precisely adjusted the front derailleur is. Most tandems have this problem from time to time. An since there are 2 people cranking the force of jamming the chain into the frame can snap a chain or worse ruin a frame that can cost over $6000. This is why most all carbon tandems come with a chain guide.
My cyclocross bike also came with one from the factory.

It is a good idea to adjust the FD correctly though. I've never have a problem with dropped chains on my Trek Madone triple.

abc

Am I weird that I really enjoy riding solo or at most with one or two other people? Then again, I like to ski alone or with just one or two others.
Not weird.

But you ARE missing half the fun. :)

I split roughly 50/50 group vs solo. I enjoy the trance like meditation of riding solo on my own pace. My mind entirely obsorbed into the moment. But I also like group rides, when I micro-adjust to the group pace almost automatically. Riding with group provides the dynamic I can't generate on my own.

On an avereage day, I climb faster and cruise at a higher speed than riding on my own.