• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking: Convince Me

MR. evil

What do you guys think of road bike quality vs. mountain bike quality? I've always thought it makes more sense to spend more money on a mountain bike since the conditions are so much more dynamic... seems like a road bike the benefits are pretty much weight related.

IOW in a "race" type of scenario I kind of thought a difference in MT bike makes a much greater impact on the ride than on a road bike (unless you get down to the real cheapo ones)

I really don’t know if a higher end bike is more important for road or mountain. But as a self proclaimed bike snob, I can tell you that if your used to higher end mountain bikes and mountain bike components. A lower end road bike just won’t cut it for you. I just bought my first road bike, and I wanted to keep it under $1000. I tried a bunch of new bikes in that price range and the shifting performance of the Sora or Tiagra level shifters on those bikes left a lot to be desired compared to the shifting on my mtb’s. It didn’t take long to realize that I would only be interested in higher end leftover bikes or used bikes. I ended up buying a very high end used bike (carbon fiber / full Ultegra) from my shop, that a good friend of mine actually traded in towards the purchase of a new bike. I could have bought it directly from my buddy for $100 less, but by getting it through the shop I was able to get it sized / fitted to my body for a proper test ride to make sure it was the right size before I bought.

It’s a very a good thing I had this done as it turns out my body type / proportions put me on a frame one size smaller that someone my height normally would be based solely on height. I have long legs and an average torso, but my femur bone is very long in relationship to my body and leg length. This means I need my saddle higher than most my height, and less reach than someone my height and lots of other tweaks to the cockpit and can’t even remember.

Here is a pic of the bike, said I would post one a while back and forgot to.
road_bike.JPG

Last edited: