• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Puck it

From what I heard on the radio, unlike France which recycles all of it's spent rods and the US where we have off site storage, all the spent rods are stored on-site in Japan.

I can see that. Space is limited in Japan and they have no Yucca Mountain to store it all.

Puck it

You could've just said "yes it is" instead of acting like an uppity, know it all - douche bag..

Socially Liberal... i highly doubt it...

Clad is not the same. I stated the vessels at these plant are all stainless to my knowledge due to their age.

And yes I am. I could give to 2 cents what you do as long as it does not affect me.

Morwax

This one?
Says "This plant has the stainless containment vessel"

I am going to oversimplify this.

There are basiclly two type of reactors in the world. One that generates the steam via direct contact with the fuel, thus creating contaminated turbines. This is the type that Chernobyl is or was. Very obselete technology, but it allowed for very big reactors thus making the output higher.

The second is pressurized steam system. The core has its own cooling loop that is self contained. The steam is generated outside of the core and is not in contact with the radiation directly. This type of the reactor used on all of our Navy ships, demostic plants along with the Japanese and French plants.

With Chernobyl, it was not the core radiation that caused the problems, it was the release of the radioactive gases. The strontium and cesium release was quite large. This made it into the food chain rather rapidly by animals eating the contamnated plants.

This plant has the stainless containment vessel and a concrete sheath over that. This should protect from any escaping as long as the vessel does not become brittle from the heat. The problem here lies in the potential breach of the core cooling system. If they pumping seawater, it most likely pumping onto the vessel itself. There would more signficant steam clouds if the vessels had been breached. If they can maintain cooling and slow the decay reaction down then it should be fine. The vessel design has done its job so far.

Exposed fuels rods doe not mean exposed to atmosphere. It means they are immersed in the cooling liquid. BTW

Puck it

This one?
Says "This plant has the stainless containment vessel"

Yes and the one above where I state that age of the reactors make the vessel all stainless for the designs that I have seen.

Good god man, open your eyes and read.

dmc

Clad is not the same. I stated the vessels at these plant are all stainless to my knowledge due to their age.

And yes I am. I could give to 2 cents what you do as long as it does not affect me.

Now why couldn't you just say that to the poster instead of calling him names?

And i still highly doubt it you are liberal anything..

Morwax

A physicist would know stainless steel is not strong enough and would never be used for containment alone.

Puck it

A physicist would know stainless steel is not strong enough and would never be used for containment alone.

Moronwax - Talk about what you know
Cold rolled SS 302 has a strength 860 MPa
Low Carbon Steel 1090 has strength 841 MPa

We use stainless in ultra high vacuum chambers all time. Low e-7 or -8 torr. Lot of inward force on it and hold up well.

Were you referring to some other steel?

Last edited:

dmc

Stay the f-ing out of it unless you have something less offensive.

Less offensive then what? You acting like a pompous know it all? Being offensive yourself?
Spelling like a 4 year old? Telling me i can't learn from reading?

Puck it

Typically, the vessel is constructed of low alloy steel with an internal stainless steel cladding to protect the vessel from corrosion. http://www.babcock.com/products/commercial_nuclear_plant_components/reactor_vessels.html
Im beginning to think they should have used your head for a containment vessel...its pretty thick

Again the documents that I have been reading on these plants have stated a 6in SS conefinement vessel, with respects to the cladding with low carbon steel. I have been looking for reference to the plants but have not found any. If you have found info on their designs then please link it.