• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

hiroto

That northern area have hit so many time in recent years and finally this one...

Me and my wife's family in Tokyo area are fine although some of them couldn't get back to home from work/school due to transportation shutdown. Phone line were jammed but I could skype call with them no problem. My sister in law said that for the first hour was after shock after after shock and it was shaking more than not.

Puck it

I just can't imagine. It was all most 100x bigger then the Loma Prieta. I think the tsunami is going to the source of the damage outside of the area closest to the epicenter. It was a deep quake too. 24km deep.

dmc

The amount of video footage of the event is insane... Totally overwhelming - you could lay on the couch all day and watch new stuff streaming in...

TVs are off... Going to practice drums and head out to ride...

Got this last night from my friend Kazumi - Japanese are rightfully terrified of Nuclear events:

"We are now most afraid that 2 nuclear power plants in Fukushima can be melt down. They are left without electricity to circulate the cooling water into the plant. Already people in the 10 km (some 7 miles) area are ordered to leave ( just in case, the government says)."

Puck it

The amount of video footage of the event is insane... Totally overwhelming - you could lay on the couch all day and watch new stuff streaming in...

TVs are off... Going to practice drums and head out to ride...

Got this last night from my friend Kazumi - Japanese are rightfully terrified of Nuclear events:

"We are now most afraid that 2 nuclear power plants in Fukushima can be melt down. They are left without electricity to circulate the cooling water into the plant. Already people in the 10 km (some 7 miles) area are ordered to leave ( just in case, the government says)."

Reports now say a hydrogen explosion occurred but reactor vessel is okay. I have a feeling there is a meltdown occurring then they are in containment mode. Similar to partial meltdown at Three Mile Island but a little worse. Good luck to the engineers on site.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Reports now say a hydrogen explosion occurred but reactor vessel is okay. I have a feeling there is a meltdown occurring then they are in containment mode. Similar to partial meltdown at Three Mile Island but a little worse. Good luck to the engineers on site.

It happened at 8:30AM eastern time. A 6.0 aftershock hit this morning too. And now reports that three trains are missing and cannot be located. Dreadful.

So the crisis in Libya is buried well beneath this reportage. Grim news, I am glad our nation can lend a hand in both situations. /Political End Discussion.

Puck it

It happened at 8:30AM eastern time. A 6.0 aftershock hit this morning too. And now reports that three trains are missing and cannot be located. Dreadful.

So the crisis in Libya is buried well beneath this reportage. Grim news, I am glad our nation can lend a hand in both situations. /Political End Discussion.

I was reading from things and it looks like Cesium has been detected outside of the reactor. Not good news. Human exposure to Cesium is not a good thing.

Warp Daddy

OMG how horrible !!! Japan has suffered a mortal blow with this human , economic and nuclear tragedy , they need our help and our prayers

Puck it

seems like they are reporting a full meltdown now ...

Full meltdown is a breach on the reactor vessel. Very bad. Cesium is from directly venting core. Not good but better then then the former.

Last edited:

Morwax

Meltdown inevitable... this is very bad news that it would appear they have been trying to keep quiet.

Puck it

Meltdown inevitable... this is very bad news that it would appear they have been trying to keep quiet.

Meltdown in one has occurred only partial though. A full meltdown is a breach of confinement vessel that has not happened at this point. Radiation would be through the roof. The partial meltdown occurs when they have to release the direct coolant which contain the cesium that is radioactive. The problem is using sea water and its affect on the all ready brittle stainless steel confinement vessel.

Morwax

They are not admitting to much but they have admitted to a partial meltdown. If they cant control that reactor, they will all go. Nuclear power is a lousy option.