• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Puck it

....fail.... complicated.... :)

You are such a dick head, but I am not going to push the button like you do. Stay out of things you know nothing about. Reactor design is very complicated. I was trying to put it into a short form to make easier to understand the differences between a BKW reactor and a RBMK reactor (Chernobyl). Try and not make light of this situation. This could be very bad since there are 6 having trouble now. I am intensely following this due to my field of study.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Y I am intensely following this due to my field of study.

Do you belong to IEEE? I was badgering one of their societies to write an article for it's members that focused a bit more deeply on the technology for us EE's who can grasp such matters. I know there is a lot of speculation, but it's probably more informed that the stuff the networks condense down to a three minute sound bite.

Puck it

Do you belong to IEEE? I was badgering one of their societies to write an article for it's members that focused a bit more deeply on the technology for us EE's who can grasp such matters. I know there is a lot of speculation, but it's probably more informed that the stuff the networks condense down to a three minute sound bite.

I am a physicist. I currently work on particle accelerators for use in the semiconductor industry.. I never joined the IEEE, but I know some physicists that belong though. Nuclear reactor tech is very complicated and has come along since these BKM types were made. Considering, what has happened they have held up well. I have been looking for specs on the plants to see what they were rated for. I venture they were rated for 7 to 8 but not a 9. The people working on these reactors are deciding things on the fly based on theoretical physics. It is bad but very interesting to understand how things will play out. One thing for sure, engineers will develop methods for not letting this happen at other plants.

Unit 2 suffered an explosion origami due to releasing steam. Will have to see in the morning.

dmc

You are such a dick head, but I am not going to push the button like you do. Stay out of things you know nothing about. Reactor design is very complicated. I was trying to put it into a short form to make easier to understand the differences between a BKW reactor and a RBMK reactor (Chernobyl). Try and not make light of this situation. This could be very bad since there are 6 having trouble now. I am intensely following this due to my field of study.

You gotta learn to relax there Puck... Maybe unpucker yourself... :)

You talk about it here.... I have every right to not "stay out"

I may actually know more then you may think I do... I'm very well read and I have Google just like you....haha

Puck it

You gotta learn to relax there Puck... Maybe unpucker yourself... :)

You talk about it here.... I have every right to not "stay out"

I may actually know more then you may think I do... I'm very well read and I have Google just like you....haha

Well read does not make you knowledgable. Stick to your network stuff. I only bust your balls on nonsensitive crap. So stay out.

dmc

All joking aside...

By coincidence I have English language NHK at my hotel room in Chicago... Pretty interesting.

My Japanese "sister" and her family live in Okayama - so i did a quick search and found a map of Nuke plants in Japan... To see if there were any around her..
Found this map..
http://www.insc.anl.gov/pwrmaps/map/japan.php
japan.png

Japan isn't a'll that big but it's got a lot of nuke plants..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
All joking aside...

By coincidence I have English language NHK at my hotel room in Chicago... Pretty interesting.

My Japanese "sister" and her family live in Okayama - so i did a quick search and found a map of Nuke plants in Japan... To see if there were any around her..
Found this map..

I checked out where Hiroshima and Nagasaki are. quite some distance to the south. I imagine any survivor of WW2 is freakin' right now.

dmc

Well read does not make you knowledgable. Stick to your network stuff.

Actually.... Reading does make one knowledgeable.. I'm stuggling thinking of another way to learn stuff when you don't have a nuclear physicist living next door to go on and on about stuff...

I know enough to understand - can i build a reactor... no...

dmc

I checked out where Hiroshima and Nagasaki are. quite some distance to the south. I imagine any survivor of WW2 is freakin' right now.

No doubt.... thats something I've been thinking about as well...

Puck it

All joking aside...

Found this map..
japan.png

They have enough to produce 30% of their power need. They were slated to be 100% nuke by 2050. The one directly north of these two wa actually closer to epicenter. I have not as to it's status. Most likely it was scrammed and is safely shutdown.