• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Im convinced you have no idea what you are talking about.
The fission reaction was shut down automaticaly after the quake and not whats creating the heat. Ive bit my tongue a bunch of times like when you stated the vessel was stainless steel. You may know some things but this subject is out of your league and your getting your google facts mixed up:beer:

Wow dude, I think someone needs a little salt water poured on them to cool their reaction :razz: this is a skiing forum not a nuclear engineer forum. We are free to discuss to the best of our abilities. If you have something more accurate to add go for it. Just keep the attacks to a minimum.

Morwax

Wow dude, I think someone needs a little salt water poured on them to cool their reaction :razz: this is a skiing forum not a nuclear engineer forum. We are free to discuss to the best of our abilities. If you have something more accurate to add go for it. Just keep the attacks to a minimum.
This may be a skiing forum but arnt we having a nuclear reactor discussion?

wa-loaf

Wow I never called anyone an a-hole. Is that your perception? You perception makes you seem like an a-hole:-(

You have a reading comprehension problem. I said you were acting like an a-hole, not calling anyone one. :dunce:

Morwax

You have a reading comprehension problem. I said you were acting like an a-hole, not calling anyone one. :dunce:

Ya you said I was acting like an a-hole and I was a moron...Must be a Mass thing:daffy:

Morwax

Reactor vessel = not stainless steel, fission reaction no longer taking place. These are huge facts.

Puck it

Im convinced you have no idea what you are talking about.
The fission reaction was shut down automaticaly after the quake and not whats creating the heat. Ive bit my tongue a bunch of times like when you stated the vessel was stainless steel. You may know some things but this subject is out of your league and your getting your google facts mixed up:beer:
You obviously do not know. The reactors were scrammed on the earthquake. Normal procedure. Would you like to go into the discussion of nuclear physics or take about tuning skis again and how it is not a personal preference.

Morwax

You obviously do not know. The reactors were scrammed on the earthquake. Normal procedure. Would you like to go into the discussion of nuclear physics or take about tuning skis again and how it is not a personal preference.
So then why are you saying they are still cooling the fission reaction? I dont want to talk about your dull skis and skid steer technique:daffy:

ctenidae

Reactor vessel = not stainless steel, fission reaction no longer taking place. These are huge facts.

Both of which are wrong.

The reactor vessel is lined with about 6 inches of stainless steal, and fission is most assuredly occuring.

If fission is not occuring, what's creating the heat? Godzilla? Maybe Mothra?

/haven't we had the your/you're conversation already? Or was that they're/their/there?

ctenidae

So then why are you saying they are still cooling the fission reaction?

Scramming the reactors drops the control rods all the way, which stops the majority of the fission reaction immediately. But not all. What's still going on generates heat, which needs to be cooled.

Puck it

Yes, it is and it can go through another issue called embrittlement if it is heated too high. Read my repsonses. I will reword it. The fission reaction was slowed with the insertion of the rods upon the earthquake. The decay is exponential sois the latent heat decaying exponentially. Nuclear decay obeys an exponential equation. Do you know what that means?
So there is heat left and it was this heat that needs to be cooled, if uncooled it can runaway again.

Taking lessons form dmc.

wa-loaf

Look above your post MORON!

You are claiming some sort of fact without backing it up with either a good explanation or pointing to an example. You are a terrible debater.

There is no on/off switch on a nuclear reactor, they only can slow the reaction by inserting the control rods and cooling the whole thing. If any of those go wrong the whole thing heats up again. Fully shutting it down take's a very long time.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Radioactive decay continues to produce heat after the fission process is stopped by the control rods. It takes several months to completely cool off to where it won't melt down.

My question is that if the fuel rods do melt and the material falls to the floor of the reactor core, away from the control rods, can the fission process resume?

Puck it

Both of which are wrong.

The reactor vessel is lined with about 6 inches of stainless steal, and fission is most assuredly occuring.

/haven't we had the your/you're conversation already? Or was that they're/their/there?

Obviously, you have some engineering or scientific background. It could be Ghidra!!!