• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just leave the carnage for the tow truck driver to clean up, after the ambulance has left the scene.
I talked to a tow truck driver last summer. It's pretty disgusting to see the stuff the police insist the tow truck driver clean up.

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

Puck it

Just leave the carnage for the tow truck driver to clean up, after the ambulance has left the scene.
I talked to a tow truck driver last summer. It's pretty disgusting to see the stuff the police insist the tow truck driver clean up.

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

I want to know what his problem was. He did not like the word vessel or does not believe the vessel is SS.

Puck it

Just two minutes ago some dude on NPR said it takes a couple of years for all of the heat from the rods to cool in the pool of water. That is why spent rods are not taken to storage facilities right away.

Again, it is a yes and no. The rods are cool enough after a few months to be removed and placed in the storage pool facilty. In the case of these reactors the storage facility is reported to be above the reactor in pools of water and boric acid. Remember boron slows the fission process thus keeping the fissionable material at bay. The rods themselves can then be transferred to separate storage containers out side of the facility or another site, usually one year. Called dry cask storage.

Puck it

Puck it

Are you sure?

Yes, the inner vessel is stainless from looking at the info on the designs and also the spent fuel storage is above the vessel in a concrete pool which is also part of the secondary confinement building. They then have a sheet metal structure around that. I see the drawing that you posted now. It is a matter of what is called primary confinement. I think of the vessel as the primary confinement and the concrete as secondary.

Morwax

You just posted a linked to a site that confirms the vessel is stainless steel. The model is only clad on the inside with stainless though. It reduces the cost to make it this way, but you forget these are 40 year reactors. They were using all stainless back then to my understanding.
So "clad" is the same as "Made of"?

tjf67

Jesus this thing is out of control and only getting worse. God bless the workers I think they r on a death mission. The media is disgusting with the shameless footage.

wa-loaf

Again, it is a yes and no. The rods are cool enough after a few months to be removed and placed in the storage pool facilty. In the case of these reactors the storage facility is reported to be above the reactor in pools of water and boric acid. Remember boron slows the fission process thus keeping the fissionable material at bay. The rods themselves can then be transferred to separate storage containers out side of the facility or another site, usually one year. Called dry cask storage.

From what I heard on the radio, unlike France which recycles all of it's spent rods and the US where we have off site storage, all the spent rods are stored on-site in Japan.

dmc

Read the post again, jack arse.

You could've just said "yes it is" instead of acting like an uppity, know it all - douche bag..

Socially Liberal... i highly doubt it...