• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

drjeff

031111_tsunamipopup.jpg

:eek:

Greg

Staff member
The footage from this is unreal. Thoughts go out to he people of Japan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I read one report that said water traveled inland 60 miles in some places. :eek:

That means if it were New England, Mt. Wachusette would be ocean front property

wa-loaf

I read one report that said water traveled inland 60 miles in some places. :eek:

That means if it were New England, Mt. Wachusette would be ocean front property

I think there's more elevation gain here that would stop it well before it got that far.

Puck it

I lived in CA during the Loma Preita quake(7.1). I can't imagine a 8.9. We are waiting to hear from customers about our machines. We may have to send people out to get them back up.

snowmonster

Just got word from a friend in Tokyo. No power, no trains and they're stuck in the office for the night. The Japanese building code and safety procedures are built around earthquakes and tsunamis. The high casualty count is unnerving. Unbelievable scenes from Japan. Thoughts and prayers.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The good news is that it is one of the most earthquake prepared countries in the world.
Most buildings are up to earthquake code and most people are trained.

Regardless, this is freakin' scary:

"Motorists could be seen trying to speed away from the wall of water.
A passenger train with an unknown number of people aboard was missing in one coastal area, police told Kyodo.
And a ship carrying 100 people was swept away, Japanese media reported, quoting police in Miyagi. It is not clear what happened to the vessel."

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just got word from a friend in Tokyo. No power, no trains and they're stuck in the office for the night. The Japanese building code and safety procedures are built around earthquakes and tsunamis. The high casualty count is unnerving. Unbelievable scenes from Japan. Thoughts and prayers.

That's good. But nobody's yet talking about the elephant in the room: aftershocks.

snowmonster

^ Actually, that's what my friend also talked about. They're sitting around the office and things haven't settled down yet. Minor swaying. They're bracing for the aftershocks. First NZ, then Japan. It looks like the Ring of Fire is very active.

drjeff

Not to make light of a truly catastrophic event, but this picture was really scary!

_51636104_011498844-1.jpg

Those toppled tanks are fermenting tanks at a BREWERY in Sendai! :eek: :eek: :eek:

dmc

Haven't heard from my "sister"(exchange student when I was young) in okayama Japan yet - or from her daughter in Tokyo. Pretty nervous.. Not answering her phone.. Maybe not working...

Puck it

Haven't heard from my "sister"(exchange student when I was young) in okayama Japan yet - or from her daughter in Tokyo. Pretty nervous.. Not answering her phone.. Maybe not working...

Cell phones are working but jammed with traffic.

dmc

Cell phones are working but jammed with traffic.

Got an email... Said her daughters phone is dead in Tokyo - no SMS either...
Internet working.. scary stuff... Everyone's ok...

campgottagopee

Got an email... Said her daughters phone is dead in Tokyo - no SMS either...
Internet working.. scary stuff... Everyone's ok...

Good news.

this is some freaky shit...all the more reason for me to stay in CNY