• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

free speech

powpig2002

first student fires school bus driver for having rebel flag w/redneck sticker on truck parked on school grounds. opinions?

dmc

I personally find Confederate flags disrespectful to people whose ancestors were held as slaves.. The flag is a direct relic to that era.

Kinda like the German swastika flag offends people whose ancestors were killed during WWII..

i guess it depends on the rules that the school system has set up.. And if they asked him to take it down. It may've offended some students in some way...

snoseek

I personally find Confederate flags disrespectful to people whose ancestors were held as slaves.. The flag is a direct relic to that era.

Kinda like the German swastika flag offends people whose ancestors were killed during WWII..

i guess it depends on the rules that the school system has set up.. And if they asked him to take it down. It may've offended some students in some way...

+1

Morwax

I cant figure out why anyone would want to associate themselves with that flag. I say let him display the sticker if he wants, same as having an L on your forehead.

gmcunni

apparently the school has a policy against displaying material that may be considered racist and the driver was given a choice of losing the flag or losing the job.

while not exactly the same, our public school district in CT had a lot of drama this past winter. a group of parents did not feel it was appropriate to have a Santa at the holiday breakfast. logic being santa = christmas and christmas = christian holiday

dmc

apparently the school has a policy against displaying material that may be considered racist and the driver was given a choice of losing the flag or losing the job.

while not exactly the same, our public school district in CT had a lot of drama this past winter. a group of parents did not feel it was appropriate to have a Santa at the holiday breakfast. logic being santa = christmas and christmas = christian holiday

I remember hearing about a Indian child who was wearing a swastika for good luck to school and there was a whole deal for her to remove it... Swastikas were actually Hindu signs for good fortune looooong before they became the symbol of evil we know today..

I can see both sides...

Puck it

Anyone can take anything personally. I take offense at this being a political thread. Lock it.

See. People need to be pay attention to their own lives and stay out of others.

Puck it

I remember hearing about a Indian child who was wearing a swastika for good luck to school and there was a whole deal for her to remove it... Swastikas were actually Hindu signs for good fortune looooong before they became the symbol of evil we know today..

I can see both sides...

Not just Hindi.

Swastikas.png

dmc

I also noticed a lot of 6 pointed stars on Mosques in India.. Apparently it's not just the "star of David"

Puck it

I also noticed a lot of 6 pointed stars on Mosques in India.. Apparently it's not just the "star of David"

You do remember that three religions all believe in Abraham as their connection to God and the same God. So it is not surprising.

dmc

You do remember that three religions all believe in Abraham as their connection to God and the same God. So it is not surprising.

I think it's just a cool Islamic art geometric design used by the Mughals occupying India... A design amongst a myriad of other designs... I love Islamic geometric stuff

Point is... It's possible for a design... to just be a design... .

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If that is the case, then this is sound. Especially if the guy was given a choice. Conditions of employment that are not "protected classes" and enforced consistently with everyone are not violations of free speech. I can't go into work and say anything I want and not get fired. As a representative of an employing organization, I can have my speech curtailed to meet the needs of the employing organization.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Free speech is very over rated. Allowing people to express their thoughts can be a very dangerous thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Edit: It may be acceptable if it's regulated.

Puck it

I think it's just a cool Islamic art geometric design used by the Mughals occupying India... A design amongst a myriad of other designs... I love Islamic geometric stuff

Point is... It's possible for a design... to just be a design... .

True, but the roots do merge in them. But they want to kill each other. Too political?