• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

free speech

powpig2002

freedom of speech(as long as you agree w/me). i crack up when i see those stickers here in maine. but i'll defend their right to be morons

Geoff

first student fires school bus driver for having rebel flag w/redneck sticker on truck parked on school grounds. opinions?

Like it or not, the school bus driver has freedom of political speach. School grounds are public property. A Confederate Flag is no different from an Obama bumper sticker.

If it was a private school and private property, his employer can fire him.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Like it or not, the school bus driver has freedom of political speach. School grounds are public property. A Confederate Flag is no different from an Obama bumper sticker.

So in effect what you're saying is, if it was a private school, he could have been fired if it was an Obama bumper sticker on his car? Very interesting.

Last edited:

dmc

I pressed the button, dude. The mods are coming.

People would probably think I'm a hockey guy or something... :)

Mods are either skiing or sleeping off hangovers... haha

Geoff

So in effect what you're saying is, if it was a private school, he could have been fired if it was an Obama bumper sticker on his car? Very interesting.

A private school in the heart of KKK country? Sure. If it has less than 50 employees, a private employer can do pretty much anything they want.

Edd

Are you speaking only of "political" speech? Certainly there are limits to what statements a teacher, for example, can have on his/her shirt; profanity, and so forth.

And what does a Confederate flag say? Can a public school teacher wear a shirt that says "White people rule?" Does that fall under the protection of political speech?

powpig2002

i'm sure some d'bag will bring my family ninto into it BUT, in a democracy, majority rules. if 99.999999% of a towns population wants a christmas fair but 1 person finds it offensive, what happens. i'm not stating my opinion. just playing devils advocate. can a black teacher wear a black unity t shirt? just throwing it out there.

Puck it

i'm sure some d'bag will bring my family ninto into it BUT, in a democracy, majority rules. if 99.999999% of a towns population wants a christmas fair but 1 person finds it offensive, what happens. i'm not stating my opinion. just playing devils advocate. can a black teacher wear a black unity t shirt? just throwing it out there.

No Xmas fair for u.

Hawkshot99

first student fires school bus driver for having rebel flag w/redneck sticker on truck parked on school grounds. opinions?

Going off the first post of the thread...

First student is a private company the is hired by school districts to do the bus duties. The guy would not have had his truck at the school, it would have been at the bus depot, which would be private property.