• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Azone on iPad

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah... on a Droid you have to follow Brian's suggestion first.

You can probably set the user agent of the iPad's browser to desktop instead of mobile device, then websites will automatically give you the full version of the site. I'd assume that you wouldn't really want the mobile version of any site on the iPad??

then the link will work. Otherwise it keeps forcing you to the mobile site. I'm guessing that is why the iPad browser won't work; as I think it doesn't let you choose the user agent.

on a Android device:

Open browser
Menu --> Settings
Uncheck the "Mobile View" box.

If you change the user agent to desktop you shouldn't need the link to switch to the full site, since the full site will load automatically.

I just switched my Android phone's browser user agent to iPad and the classic view link didn't work. I don't know if that means it won't work on a real iPad or not, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

o3jeff

If you change the user agent to desktop you shouldn't need the link to switch to the full site, since the full site will load automatically.

I just switched my Android phone's browser user agent to iPad and the classic view link didn't work. I don't know if that means it won't work on a real iPad or not, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Hopefully he gets it working by the time I get home....

o3jeff

Do you think it is possible it is detecting the operating system and not the device sinde the iPhone and iPad both use the same? Saw the below stuff on the Mac forum.

Here are the user agent strings used by Safari:

iPhone: "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5"

iPad: "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5"

o3jeff

There was this too :smash:

Originally Posted by ********** View Post
My iPad is causing a vbulletin web forum to display the mobile version. Oddly, my iPhone shows the full version of this particular site. I would love to hit the "full site" button that many websites have, but this site doesn't have that option available. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'd complain to the site owner; the iPad has been out for a year now so there isn't much excuse for them not updating their browser detection.

Puck it

Going to another browser fixes this issue. The forum page is detecting that iPad is a mobile device. So it is both a Safari and forum problem.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
There was this too :smash:

Originally Posted by ********** View Post
My iPad is causing a vbulletin web forum to display the mobile version. Oddly, my iPhone shows the full version of this particular site. I would love to hit the "full site" button that many websites have, but this site doesn't have that option available. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'd complain to the site owner; the iPad has been out for a year now so there isn't much excuse for them not updating their browser detection.

Honestly I just have to spend time understanding how the plugin we use for the mobile style works. I know it uses browser detection but I don't know how to exclude certain browsers (yet).

Better yet: just install Tapatalk :flame:

Puck it

Honestly I just have to spend time understanding how the plugin we use for the mobile style works. I know it uses browser detection but I don't know how to exclude certain browsers (yet).

Better yet: just install Tapatalk :flame:

Atomic is free and fixes it. At least free when I installed it.