• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What to do?

bvibert

Staff member
Finally getting this bike dialed in. As I expected it's bobs quite a bit when pedaling. I rode yesterday's ride with the propedal on for the entire ride and was quite happy with the results. Now it pedals a lot better, but still sucks up the bumps when needed. Still need to tweak the pressures in both the shock and fork a bit.

Can't wait for the next ride!

o3jeff

Have you been riding it with the propedal off?

And when are you riding next? I need to get out, been over a week....

bvibert

Staff member
Yes, I was only using propedal for road sections of the ride. On my shock it's either on or off, there's no in between.

You should have joined us yesterday, we had a good ride. The trails were surprisingly dry. Not sure when I'm getting out again. I would like to ride again on Wednesday, but I need to see how things go in the next couple of days.

bvibert

Staff member
They have the Fox Talas 150 on Chainlove now for $429. Has the 15mm so you'll need a new front hub.

Thanks, that's about $450 more than I have a budget for at the moment though. :smash:

Gonna have to live with what I have for now...

bvibert

Staff member
I like it. It took a little getting used to. I liked the rear suspension on my old bike more, but with the propedal setting of the rear shock turned on it's been pretty good. Still using the old fork, I don't see that changing any time too soon, but I'll keep my eyes out. I need to replace the rear derailleur/hanger and rear wheel, along with normal annual maintenance stuff like tires, chain, cassette, etc.. first.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm thinking I need to do the drivetrain on my bike this year too. Still have the original one.

How many miles are on it? I replace my chain every year (at least), usually the cassette is getting worn by then too (or I've bent one or more of the cogs). You don't want to put a new chain on a worn cassette. I usually do the middle chain ring too.

o3jeff

How many miles are on it? I replace my chain every year (at least), usually the cassette is getting worn by then too (or I've bent one or more of the cogs). You don't want to put a new chain on a worn cassette. I usually do the middle chain ring too.

I must be pushing 1000 miles on it, will have to check when I get home. Yea, I'll need to get a front ring too.

bvibert

Staff member
I must be pushing 1000 miles on it, will have to check when I get home. Yea, I'll need to get a front ring too.

Measure the stretch of the chain, it's most likely pretty worn.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear
(scroll down to the part about measuring the chain)

How has it been shifting? If it hasn't been giving you trouble you may want to leave it alone for a while.

o3jeff

How has it been shifting? If it hasn't been giving you trouble you may want to leave it alone for a while.

Never a problem thats why I've been leaving it alone. Think the rear shock should maybe be rebuilt, but then again it doesn't give me a problem either.