• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What to do?

bvibert

Staff member
So here's the deal. I broke my trusty Rockhopper frame last summer. The good news is that it's covered by Specialized lifetime frame warranty. While I liked riding it, and it's been nice having it as a backup I really want to get another full suspension bike. I started the season with a Iron Horse MKIII last season and really enjoyed it, but it was short lived (broke frame). So here's the deal, I can;

A - Get the replacement frame from Specialized and build the Rockhopper back up, then save up for a FS frame or used FS bike. I have a bunch of parts to put into another frame so either way would work.

B - Use the frame replacement as a credit towards a Specialized Pitch frame. I can get a 2008 for $400 on top of my trade-in, or a 2010 for $650. Near as I can tell they didn't change anything from 2008 to 2010, the color is even the same. So the 2008 seems like the clear choice of the two. If I went this route I would probably look for some sort of HT frame to build up later on, because I like having a HT in the stable (if nothing else for a backup).

C - Some other option?

One note for option B - the Pitch would have come with a 140mm fork. I could either use the Marzocchi All Mountain 3 that came off the MKIII, which is 140mm, but the steerer tube might be too short. If that doesn't fit I'd have to use the RS Tora 318 that I have from the RH that could be extended to 130mm. I'm not likely to purchase another fork very soon.

So what would you do if you were in my shoes? Money is very tight, and is a key factor.

o3jeff

I would grab the FS frame for $400. Finding a cheap HT frame will be easier than finding a cheap FS frame. Only thing is you might need a different fork to get the geometry right.

I picked up my On-One frame for low $200 and I see they still have the pink in 20" for you
456_pink.jpg

Jisch

I would buy the '08 Pitch, that's a really great bike, I think it kind of got lost in the shuffle with all the other bikes that came out around that time - the EnduroSL got all the press. As far as I have seen/heard its a really solid frame too - I don't think you'll be breaking that one any time soon.

You can get a used hard tail pretty cheap - you'll end up spending a lot more for a used FS, so why waste the warranty on that frame? BTW if you get a used HT find a 29er, you will not be disappointed (and my prediction is your FS will see a lot less use).

As far as the fork, if the one you have doesn't work out, you can likely sell the one you have and find a comparable one with a long enough steerer for a little extra $$.

John

MR. evil

I would go with the Pitch as well. Jamie (rightcoaster) has one and it's a nice bike. His only complaint is that the BB is a tad low and he thinks the bike would be much nicer with a 150mm to 160mm fork. I have tried his rig outa few times and liked it very much.

MR. evil

Oh ya, save the dough and get the cheaper frame. Spend that 250 on a burly rear wheel that can handle your size / power. Or get yourself an adjustable seat post, you will LOVE it.

Greg

Staff member
I don't give a shit what you do. Just get something. Cuz I want to get out and ride more this year.

Seriously option B seems like a no brainer.

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It actually seemed like a no brainer while I was typing it out, but I figured I'd see what you guys would say anyway.

bvibert

Staff member
Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I gotta get going, bike season is upon us!

The stupid old frame has been sitting in my garage since the fall, I just never got around to bringing it in....

Still gotta work out a wheel set too....

bvibert

Staff member
They called Friday when I was just about to drop into the backside snow fields at Sugarloaf (I didn't answer). I'm going to pick up the frame tonight!

bvibert

Staff member
Cool, maybe we'll see you out on the trials this weekend.

I'm super stoked! But getting out this weekend isn't likely. I still don't have all the rest of the stuff needed to build up the new frame... Besides if Sundown opens I'll be working and skiing most of the weekend...

Soon though! Can't wait!

MR. evil

I'm going to pick up the frame tonight!

Bring your old frame with you so they can take out the head set and install it into the new scoot. It only takes a couple of minutes and they should do it for you while you wait.

What are you doing for wheels?

bvibert

Staff member
Bring your old frame with you so they can take out the head set and install it into the new scoot. It only takes a couple of minutes and they should do it for you while you wait.

What are you doing for wheels?

They already have the old frame, and are reinstalling the headset cups as we speak..

Not sure on wheels... yet... :-?